Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any knowledge on the Rotax 912 power system with regards to over-voltage.

The way it has been explained to me is that with the Rotax's stator system, it can only put out a maximum of some 18 amps and is not prone to an over voltage. AC power is regulated into the Rotax supplied Ducati voltage regulator. The enemies to running this regulator is when you exceed more than 70% of it capacity or roughly (13.5 amps) of continuous duty. This creates excessive heat, and when not cooled properly, tend to fail over time. So in my mind installation location, and excessive loads are to be avoided.

If if this regulator is to fail, to my understanding, the onboard capacitor tied into the circuit is designed to absorb the excessive load, especially if the field wire or control wire function on the regulator become disabled. To my understanding, this is the only way the Ducattti voltage regulator could put out more voltage than needed. Any load or excessive voltage is absorbed by electrical system and capacitor, or the regulator will simply over heat and fail.

In addition, being that the AC power generated is slave to permanent magnet and coil assembly, power is ultimately governed by engine rpm, unlike an automotive alternator, there is no chance the rotax configuration can put out anything more than factory specked amperage.

All this being said, when running a glass panel, is there any reason to be concerned about an over voltage scenario destroying my expensive equipment?

If anyone has any extensive knowledge on this subject, I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

Thank you!