Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 4 first flights today

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kitfox 4 first flights today

Well after bringing it home in a 1500 mile trip, 6 years of on and off rebuilding, Kitfox 4 N# 423GB left the ground this evening for the first time since 2006. When I got it, it had a Subaru EA81, and weighed 826 lbs. Now it has a 80 HP Rotax 912, and weighs 645. I just did a couple short trips around the pattern, but she sure flew nice, and climbed like a home sick angel. Here are some quick numbers. I'm at 1500 MSL, and wasn't pushing anything to get the most out of it. I was off the ground in about 300', climbed at 1000' per minute, cruised at about 5000 rpm doing 90-95 MPH. And that is without streamlining on the lift struts yet. I'm sure the numbers will be better then. I have some videos of the flights, but it will take some time to edit them into something I can put up on utube. I snapped a couple of pics of my computer screen with the videos on so I could at least post some pictures. One thing else I learned from the videos, is it took 38 seconds to get from pushing in the throttle to 500' AGL. Best I think I've ever measured with my Jabiru powered Avid was 42 or 43 seconds. I did it once in my Avid B model with 582 in 32 seconds, but that plane only weighed 445 lbs. Anyway, I'm one happy guy this evening. I'll have to start working on editing the videos soon. I see I didn't get the date stamp set right on two out of three of the go pros. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images