Am considering an Apex for my KF7 build. This is based on the bang/buck ratio. I am not really a gearhead, this is my first build. Seems like the best source of info here is the Yamaha Aircraft Conversions Page on Facebook (awkward but a TON of great info). Two goals of this post. 1) clear up any misconceptions that I may have and make sure I understand the big questions and answers about doing this. 2) give folks an opportunity to legit talk me out of this course. What would be really cool is if Bryan could finish this out and write instructions with pictures using no words longer than two syllables...

Apex mounts avail from Steve Henry for KF7
Teal makes a SkyTrax PRSU that is well thought of and gaining hours
BD makes an ECU/EMS for an Apex
Apex is already EFI (and altitude compensating? need for a turbo?)
Apex makes 150 HP out of the "box"
It SEEMS like exhausts are already being made for KF, but not sure about KF7 (couple guys putting apex on KF4's)
Edge Performance is happy to sell you EPEX boxed engine that seems epically amazing .... (AND you just spent like a Rotax 914)
Weight seems comparable to a 912is install (average of many opinions, have to account for engine accessories, ?); weight/bal close to fine?

What prop would I run?
Would it be constant speed?
How am I tying all this into either Garmin or GRT avionics?
Do I want/need a turbo? (don't know much about that altitude adjusting fuel control...)
Sled guys and Steve Henry are over 300hp on the norm on these, so perhaps running around at 200 hp is just fine. Are guys achieving this through engine tune/timing or is this a turbo situation?

seems to me that unless you go full gold plated Edge Perf there are significant cost savings here. apples to apples (?) a 912is is mid 30's with all the trimmings. the "same" apex puts out 150 hp to start and cost is ... under 15k?

Also to account for is that I'm not very bright. I don't have an engine/machine shop based shop. I've done a fair amount of outboard work, I'm comfortable with avionics. I can read (slowly). Thoughts appreciated.