Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Bearings

Default Bearings

Hello guys,

I installed the bearings in the horizontal stabilizer. The instructions don't say anything about sanding them like it says about the bushings, so the first two I pressed into the welded tubes in the horizontal stabilizer as is (one in the connection spot to the fuselage and the other on one side of the stabilizer). With the pressure I applied, the bearing didn't go all the way to the end of the welded tube and it's falling short about 1/32 of an inch. The other issue is that because of the press, one side's internal diameter is smaller than the other side. Pulling the bearings out will be really hard since I added loctite and with the press I applied it will be really hard to pull them out, especially the one that is in the center where the connection to the fuselage is.
    I tried to warm it, but it's not moving out and to the one in the center, I don't even have access with the tools I have.
    The only option I see is to ream the inside of the bearings, but I'm not sure if the fact that it's about 1/32 of an inch short can cause a problem.
    With the remaining 5 bearings I sanded them before I pushed them in and it worked perfectly.
    Please let me know if you had any similar issue and how it can be fixed.

Thanks,
    Motti

Default Re: Bearings

Here is a picture of the bearing

IMG_D2C03F2EB2EF-1.jpg

I have one, maybe two like that. The important thing is that the bushing that rotates inside that bearing isn't short. The tabs on the elevator need to seat on the bushing. The tabs of the elevator need to be kept spread as to not allow them to drag on the metal of the bearing you have installed. Hope that makes sense.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I have one, maybe two like that. The important thing is that the bushing that rotates inside that bearing isn't short. The tabs on the elevator need to seat on the bushing. The tabs of the elevator need to be kept spread as to not allow them to drag on the metal of the bearing you have installed. Hope that makes sense.

Thank you, Eddie!
    So the only thing will be to fix the internal diameter of the bearings. Correct? I saw in one of the posts that the 3.125 reamer should work for that. I believe that will fix the issue.
    Any thoughts?