Hi Chaps

I have a model 2 with a Maul tailwheel. I've only just got it flying again. Test flight carried out by a local instructor.

I've done a couple of hours with another owner in his model 2, which wasn't perfect but was okay, and he's kindly been and flown with me for an hour in mine.

However, conditions were a bit windy and there was a little turbulence on the approach so I didn't get in many landings at all.

The final landing resulted in a bounce and settling back down, followed by heading off to the left of the runway which I responded to with full right rudder.

The airplane didn't respond to my rudder input and by the time I got on the brakes, we'd left the runway.

We ended up off the runway at 90° to the runway, but no harm done. Not quite a full blown ground loop, but it was luck that no harm was done.

Thinking over it afterwards, the complete lack of response makes me wonder if the tailwheel unlocked as I stomped on the right rudder.

Should I be removing the unlock plate? the down side of this idea is I've tried taxiing and I can't quite turn around on our runway without the tailwheel unlocking!

Any thoughts, guidance appreciated.

Smiffy