Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 458lk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 458lk

I've been lurking for quite a while, reaching out to some for advice and generally learning as much as I can getting ready for this moment. It's time to start my build. I recently picked up a 2013 SS7 kit and drove it back home. It only has about 40 hours of work completed and I'm very excited about being able to do the majority of the build on the plane. Thanks to my awesome wife that went on the 4 day road trip on 2 days notice. A very big thank you to Eddie and Brian for answering all my questions and being so supportive! Honestly, it has been the incredible Kitfox community that inspired me to take on this venture and I am excited about becoming part of the family. At first, I will definitely being leaning on others for help, support and guidance but look forward to paying it forward when I can.

Harlan and Bryan (and others): Thanks for doing such detailed build videos. I can only imagine how much time you put into them, but for guys like myself (small brain. like moving pictures), they are incredibly helpful.

For all those that have taken the time to put together detailed build logs with advice and pictures ( I really do like pictures) thank you! I will try to keep up the standard.
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 4.56.32 PM.jpg
    All loaded and ready for the trip from Washington state to Southern California.
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 4.57.27 PM.jpg
    Rotisseries done. Time to get the inventory done and a part order to Kitfox.
    Last edited by tdldedcd; 07-28-2020 at 05:06 PM.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

Default Re: 458LK

Welcome! Congratz on your "new to you" S7.
    Looking forward to your build.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Congrats Todd on your kit purchase. With perseverance it will one day soon leave the ground and give back to you great aviation adventures.😀 Enjoy your build and very best of luck. Welcome aboard.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks for the advice.

It was the 3rd rib from the middle on both sides of the elevator (the 203 spot). I used the 2nd longest rib from the bundle for this spot, but it was just short. Here is what I have done to lengthen it. I cut the tail end of the rib off to the point it was the same thickness as the rib stiffeners. This gave a little more length and strength to the patch. I then added more stiffeners on both sides to sandwich the patch. I used the section of tail I cut off as a template to shape the patch. It's chunky but I was going for strength.
    fixed rib1.jpg
    fixed rib 2.jpg

I'm open for any concerns or comments.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

Todd, Welcome to the the world of building a kitfox! Most of the knowledge that you will need is right here on teamkitfox. There are some great builders here that enjoy helping us new builders out. I am very thankful for their help and I'm sure you will be too. Look forward to watching your build. Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Funny story. I obtained my project from across the country. A few weeks later I see a series 7 project in Port Angeles, WA on Barnstormers - maybe an hour away for me, and a nice drive even.
    A good chance it was your plane. Funny how many miles a project can get on it before flying.

Heat might help, but don't get it too hot.

For removal you can use a fine thread bolt (like an AN3), nut, socket and a bushing that is slightly smaller than the bushing you are removing. Put the bushing on one side and the socket on the other. Make sure the socket is big enough to receive the aircraft bushing. Draw this smaller bushing into the elevator by tightening the bolt & nut. The aircraft bushing will go into the socket. Viola. It's all about having the right size socket, bushing and the right length bolt(s).
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Default Re: 458lk

The build has slowed down because I recently got current and finished up my tail wheel endorsement. Had a great flight with my better half and Kitfox buddy Eddie and his significant other. Looking forward to flying when we are both are in Kitfoxes!

Received my tail wheel instruction/endorsement in this cool plane. Checked off a lot of bucket list items.
    Attachment 26917

9095H.jpg

Eddie’s plane looking good. Sorry for the upside down pictures.

Attachment 26945
    Midlife1.jpg
    5A500E41-F80F-4952-B57D-04F2BA02F6BF.jpeg

My awesome copilot.

copilot.jpg

Amazing views all around.
    68BA02E5-E6D8-429E-A51B-6A429B1A386C.jpg

Attachment 26922Breaks over. Time to get to back to work. More build photos to follow soon.

Attachment 26918
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

Default Re: 458lk

Thanks Eddie. Let's get together and going flying again soon.

Alex, the directions really are very good. Read and re-read them. The more I read them, the more comfortable I got. If you have any questions, PM me and I can offer up things I learned.You've got this!!
    I'm flying a Citabria right now too. Fun little plane.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop

Was able to make a little progress this week. Work has been crazy so finding time to build is challenging. Ran into a snag that I would sure appreciate some advice on. The previous owner/builder pressed the bushing into the horizontal stab. They all look good except for one. It is not flush. I tried the c-clamp method to get it the rest of the way in but it won't budge. Any suggestions for getting it out?
    bearing.jpg

Thanks for the help.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop