I have built up the fairings on my horizontal and elevator. I started with balsa blocks and then added 4-5 layers of superfil and sanding until I was happy with the shape. The problem is that with all of the sanding, I managed to sand through some of the powder coating and am now left with bare metal. I tried using a bit more superfil to cover the metal, but it changes the shape somewhat. My question is what to use on the exposed metal. Friends have recommended everything from varnish to zinc chromate to auto body primer. The area exposed is at the very outer curve of the HS and elevator. width is about 1/8 inch and length is about 3-4 inches. I have thought about the polyfiber primer that I plan to use on the wing spars, but there is no info on brushing this stuff on. Using a spray gun seems like huge over kill, but I could completely cover the polyfil fairing and make it white, like the powder coat.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

Fred

Here is a picture from before I finished the sanding and shaping (it looks way better than this now)UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_57af.jpg