Hello everyone,
After 20+ years from a flying hiatus, I've rekindled my love of flying - thanks YouTube, Trent Palmer, and many others! It's funny how interests can unconsciously take a back seat to life, career, family, etc. I almost finished my PPL about 20 years ago in a C172 (have almost 50 hours), but I never finished it. Now, I have a situation where Sport Pilot is really my only 'for sure' option to fly due to the complexities involved with trying to get a 3rd class medical. I had a consult with an AME last month, and what I would have to do for a minor medical issue is ridiculous! So, I'm not going to risk it and just stick with SPL.

I love the idea of spending free time in my garage and building a plane. I believe myself to be mechanically and electrically inclined (was a Navy Nuke Electrician many moons ago). I used to build RC aircraft in my teens quite successfully and have recently done some successful woodworking making some furniture, etc. I don't have any metal working experience though.

I'm planning on getting my SPL next year. I'm about 245 lbs now, and I need to lose some weight to fly in the local school's Jabiru in Denton, TX. I'll also probably have enough cash saved up next year to purchase the Kitfox kit as well. I'm also going to look at taking a week or two vacation to Idaho sometime in the next few years to get some training specifically in the Kitfox at Stick and Rudder Aviation.

I guess my biggest questions are:
  • Is the Kitfox a good first airplane to build, or do most people build this with previous experience?
  • Is the Kitfox a good first airplane to start serious flying in, or do most people have previous plane experience?