Hi, everyone. I've been lurking here for awhile, but the time has finally arrived for my first post. I've been preparing to order a Kitfox from the factory, but while speaking to a neighbor last night about it, he told me about a "barn find" project that needs a new home. Here's what I know:

• It's a Series 5 taildragger, so either a Safari or Outback, and probably with 1,550# MGW (not sure of its exact age, but roughly 20 years)
  • It might be a Speedster (the owner said he bought some Speedster options, but it may just be the airfoiled vertical stab)
  • Dual adjustable rudder pedals and toe brakes
  • Full Whelen light package (incandescent nav/beacon/landing and flash tube strobes, all still in the box)
  • Standard 6-pack of round dial instruments (unknown if they're installed in the panel)
  • No radios whatsoever
  • No parts for cabin vent or heat
  • No cargo bay liner or interior upholstery
  • Plumbing and wiring status unknown
  • Rotax 912 engine mount and cowling (shape unknown), but no engine or propeller
  • Wings were factory-built, and I presume they've been rigged to the fuselage, because...
  • Wings are covered and Poly-Brushed, ready for Poly-Spray
  • Unknown if fuselage is covered
  • Unknown if owner still has the full hardware kit, assembly manuals, build log, etc.
  • The project has been stored in a semi trailer for at least five years (owner is a retired trucker)
  • My neighbor (who has built many planes, mostly composite) says the owner's work was meticulous

I would sell the lighting package and upgrade to LEDs.
I'm OK that there's no engine, as I wouldn't want something that had been sitting for 20+ years.
Same with radios, as they would be obsolete by now, and I would replace the instruments with an EFIS.

So, here are my questions:

1. What are the main differences between the Series 5 and Series 7? Anything really compelling?
  2. Do the current factory-supplied wing strut fairings fit the Series 5?
  3. A cursory internet search suggests that retrofitting cabane gear isn't complex or difficult. Is that accurate?
  4. Does the factory still support Series 5 builders with parts, upholstery, tech support, etc? Is there an ownership transfer fee to get support?
  5. Are there any concerns about Poly-Fiber fabric deterioration during storage since it wasn't completely finished (assuming no moisture)?
  6. Will I have to replace the Poly-Fiber chemicals due to shelf life expiration, or are they fine if still sealed?
  7. Assuming it has a Speedster wing, does the factory (or anyone else) still make wingtip extensions?

I'm going to look at it tomorrow afternoon (it's an hour away), so I'll have answers to some of the unknowns when I get back. In the meantime, any suggestions for specific things I should look for/at would be appreciated.

Thanks!