Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Project 5 build thread

Default Re: Project 5 build thread

A couple of quick pics before I head to the hangar for the day. Getting my oil hoses routed is a game of 1/8ths of an inch here and there (which is why I haven't drilled the firewall yet). I think down the road I'll end up with a slightly different oil tank but this will work for now.
    PXL_20230814_000923199.jpg
    PXL_20230814_000936758.jpg
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Hi Alex, could you provide me with the website where you got the dimensions for the horses you made for the wing build please? Jez

Jez,
    The required dimensions are in the builder's manual. Take those dimensions and combine them with a Google search for:
    DIY I-beam sawhorses.
    Then follow the manual for how to rig them and glue them to your shop floor.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Got it, thanks Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    A brief update.

A few days ago I completed drilling and riveting of all four spars. No foul language and no extra holes. I didn't make an exact count but it's very close to 200 rivets by the time you complete top and bottom of all four spars. My Milwaukee 12V rivet gun has worked flawlessly, so I have no wrist cramps to complain about. I didn't even need to swap batteries on the rivet gun.

I immediately began setting up my sawhorse wing fixture and incorporating both 1/2" spacers, then got out my ribs.

I still haven't sloshed the spars to get out the chips or the lube used to get the inserts in place but that didn't stop me from sliding a few ribs into place so I could see how they fit. Right away I learned the rivets in the rear spar won't slide over all those rivets. I will need to file two small notches inside the hole in the rib where the rear spars go, so they can slide into place in over the riveted sections.

I've done some internet searching and found some smooth rubber balls which should have much better gap sealing properties than the tennis balls I used when I cleaned/etched/Alodined all the pieces recently. Once those arrive I'll get the spars cleaned out and make up my mind about sloshed with epoxy.

In the meantime I've got a bunch of ribs that need inspecting and sanding.
    Alex, you said you should have seen it coming a mile away. What could you have done to prevent using them motorbike cnc block windshield spacers. Increased the length of the saw horses? Also, do you think it's necessary to notch out the ribs for the rivets being in the way? they would have only been a mill or 2 out on either end. I am just starting to build my horses now, and I will put some pics up on team kitfox. Your channel and forum is a great help thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Attachment 26646
    I cleaned up the shop (mostly) and set out my sawhorses two days ago. My digital tape measure and digital level came in handy for setting up the wing fixture. I fixed one to the garage floor with Bondo and once it kicked off I got the second one leveled, oriented by the book and also fixed to the floor with Bondo. Yesterday morning I checked all the measurements again and they were spot on. Both sawhorses were level, my 156" dimension was not even out 1/32" and the diagonal was within 1/32" out. For some repurposed studs I'm pretty happy with it.
    Attachment 26649
    With that all checked I cut some lumber for the index blocks which attach to the saw horses and the 1/2" pieces which serve to stagger the spars at the inboard rear end and to set the washout. By afternoon I was removing screws from the spar crate. I tested out my fixture and then got busy with a scotchbrite pad cleaning up the outside of the tubes. It was one of those nights where you are about ready to shut off the lights and decide to see what kind of effort it will take to prep the spar inserts, and next thing you know it's 1am and they're done.
    Attachment 26648
    During an afternoon break I went to the local building supply place and bought 14' of 3" PVC pipe (had to buy a 10' and 4' piece), a coupler and two end caps. Armed with knowledge of the "tennis ball trick" I included a big pet store in my errands. I thought it would be great to find some smooth rubber balls instead of tennis balls, and fully expected to strike the mother load. I was to be disappointed however, and the best I could do was some overpriced tennis balls.

Around dinner time I slapped more Bondo on the feet of both sawhorses and used some PVC pipe adhesive to bond the coupler and one end cap in place. Then I vacated the shop while all the fumes cleared out.

Attachment 26647
    Today I explored the tennis ball thing. I wanted to slosh the inside of the tubes with acetone. The balls leaked pretty badly and acetone will just laugh at any attempts to tape it. I just lived with the leaks and had a big tub at each end to catch the leaking acetone, which I filtered and used for the initial sluice of the next tube and fresh acetone for the second. I retrospect I should have started by cleaning up the insides of the tubes because I had cleaned them externally to a beautiful uniform appearance.

Once all four spars were cleaned inside I mixed up a big batch of my Henkel Bonderite etch solution. One at a time I etched the spars, and two at a time I etched the inserts in my big PVC tube, sloshing continuously for 4 minute cycles.

The inserts were the last thing etched and the first things I ran through the Alodine process. They came out looking pretty nice. The spars came out splotchier than most parts that I have Alodined. Until this job I have been able to run them directly from etch to rinse to Alodine without drying the parts. The instructions say that if you don't dry them they might not be uniform. Working alone and needing to get all the way through etching all the parts before I could Alodine them made the job challenging. And lest anyone think they're splotchy or terrible they look fine, just not perfect. They didn't pick up quite as much color as usual but again, no real impact on the treatment process.

The lack of uniformity has no impact, and I'm used to seeing parts like this. They were treated with etch and Alodine so the job is done. I was pretty worn out by the time I cleaned up. Actual hands on time (not including the tennis ball acetone task) was about 2.5 hours. Damn glad I'm not building a biplane.

Tomorrow I'll start the process of sliding the inserts into the spars.
    Alex, you said you should have seen it coming a mile away. What could you have done to prevent using them motorbike cnc block windshield spacers. Increased the length of the saw horses? Also, do you think it's necessary to notch out the ribs for the rivets being in the way? they would have only been a mill or 2 out on either end. I am just starting to build my horses now, and I will put some pics up on team kitfox. Your channel and forum is a great help thanks.

Well I did not make it as far as engine start, but I'll have to get some beers in the fridge for Geek real soon.

Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Wow, huge progress Alex. Well done. If you need good welding done and don't want to lose a day on the road, just send it down to me. I'll drive it over to Steve Furjesi's shop then send it back.

Speaking of which, I ran into Steve at a neighbor's BBQ recently. Turns out he's happy to come by my place with a portable welder, so I can get him to add tabs for ELT mounting, seat pan anchors, etc.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I totally forgot about Steve. Dang it!
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Engine start day is coming soon
    PXL_20231208_000805839.jpg
    PXL_20231208_222343487.jpg
    PXL_20231208_221119957.jpg
    PXL_20231211_001018955.jpg
    Before I packed it in tonight I had the throttle cable installed. Still working out the routing to make it work perfectly smooth and have full travel, but I'm getting there. Hoping to drag it over to the fuel pump tomorrow to put a few gallons in the tanks. I'll check for leaks and then run some gas through the pumps and clear the lines (per the Airflow Performance manual).
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII