Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 5 build thread

Default Re: Project 5 build thread

Great work Alex!!! You sure are getting me pumped for my install. I'm assuming you plan to try first without an oil cooler and see where your oil temp is?? I haven't discussed that with Brett yet.

Thanks Robin. I've got a spot carved out for a cooler but I would love to not have one.

The ones I've seen installed are very small.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

A lot of stuff happening on your firewall forward. Fun, fun, fun! Very interesting build!

Totally understand the need for revision Bravo, Charlie and Delta. Lol.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

A quick update while I'm still up in Alaska. For those who saw my most recent video you may recall the bracket I mocked up out of 0.016" sheet aluminum, purpose of which is to hold my throttle and mixture cable housings near the fuel injection servo. I sent that CAD model off to SendCutSend, the same place I had make my instrument panel(s). I knew from the tracking number that it had arrived home so I had Carrie open up the package and send me some pictures.
    357319033_611623521108022_8998081990001103869_n.jpg
    357300604_3511601479095281_8458105423674824332_n.jpg
    I was able to order my throttle and mixture cables through McFarland. For my throttle cable I'm getting one of their combination push-pull/Vernier units. No plunger knob. You can push-pull for large motions and twist it to fine tune everything. Pretty cool design. I elected to choose an off the shelf length (about half the price of custom and no wait time), which is about 7" longer than what I worked out, so I have to lose 7" in my actual routing.
    I had hoped to get the exact same kind of cable for my mixture but the very nice lady from McFarland sold me a normal Vernier type (mit plunger, ja?), which is a cut to length unit. Both of those have shipped, along with several expected hardware pieces.

And while the lower 48 is suffering a heat wave, up here we're having the coldest summer anyone can recall for quite some time. It's not only colder than normal, we've had several days of low ceilings. That means I have had time to fine tune my Solidworks model of my oil tank mounting solution. I have ordered all the internally threaded rods, turn buckles, nylon bar stock and rubber sheet in various types, thicknesses and durometer. I will use the rubber to pad the motor mount and the oil tank from each other.

new parts.jpg
    Oil lines and clamps should be at my house already along with rev D of the cable from my battery contactor to my starter. August is going to be a good month.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Beautiful stuff, Alex. I wish I had half of your engineering and CAD skills.

I know, I know, "Eric, you're the one who went to a liberal arts college instead of engineering school!"
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Beautiful stuff, Alex. I wish I had half of your engineering and CAD skills.

I know, I know, "Eric, you're the one who went to a liberal arts college instead of engineering school!"
    Thanks Eric. There are many places I struggle and fumble around. Running an etch-a-sketch isn't one of them.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

If I still had an early-90s DOS machine running CADKey 6 -- and the laminated keyboard overlay -- I could probably do it, but these new-tech etch-a-sketches a real head-scratcher.

Draw... A Line... Parallel... To A Line... At A D​istance...
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    .......Draw... A Line... Parallel... To A Line... At A D​istance...
    This cracked me up Eric. Long time since I have seen those. But you're aging yourself!!!

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Dood, I made a good living as a CADkey jockey for several years. Often it was because I was the only power user in town, but occasionally because I knew it better than any of my competition. When I moved into CNC programming I learned several other CAD languages but always had a cracked version of CADkey at home.
    One of the places I worked bought Surfcam which had a nearly identical interface (Create, Line, Parallel, ThruPt) etc. It was like putting on my favorite jeans.

I don't know if you know the story of what happened to CADkey, which was always superior to AutoCAD. I forget the name of the guy they hired from AutoDesk to run CADkey but he absconded with company funds and left it for dead. At one point I saw the rights of the CADkey software for sale for less than the price of a used car.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

No, I never used or heard anything about CADKey after late 1994. I used it when I worked at a small prototyping and tooling shop up in Mountlake Terrace (one of the things made there were replacement rivet-setting dies for the Gemcor machines on the wing production line in Everett).

I was hired to be sort of a girl Friday (billing, payroll, etc.), but ended up dimensioning customer drawings, converting customers' napkin sketches into CAD, running manual machines on repetitive tasks, and eventually being the only guy in the shop who understood their fancy new Hurco CNC mill. That Hurco mill was remarkable for the day; it had a control panel that allowed you to draw a part directly in the machine, then define a tool path. As long as you knew enough about feeds-and-speeds not to break endmills it could turn any liberal arts graduate into a precision machinist, and for a time, it did.

Anyway, it's sad that CADKey is no more. It looks like the name belongs to a Japanese company now, but they only use it to drive business to their own platform: "Do you have CADKey .prt files? Only Kubotek KeyCreator can read them!"

I still have a copy of CADKey 6 on 3-1/2" floppies around here somewhere. I wasted half a day trying to get it running on a DOS emulator a few years ago without success.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings