Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Corrosion concerns

Default Corrosion concerns

Hi all. I recieved my kit in mid 2011, and like most of us, opted for the powder coating from the factory. I finished the build in 2016. Very soon after, I started dealing with corrosion on the jury struts and flaperon weights. I thought, ok that part is exposed to the elements the most, as long as I don't start seeing issues inside the plane. Well I'm flying along this morning and I notice the overhead cross bars in the cabin starting to show corrosion through the powder coat. I've looked through the aft fuselage and thankfully don't see anything there, yet. Is anyone else having this problem? I know I live in florida, but the plane is always hangared. Of course, humidity still gets very high.
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: Corrosion concerns

I have noticed some corrosion on my jury struts. Kit is 13 years old; flying for 11 years; always hangared. I live in Portland, Oregon, also a wet, high humidity place.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Corrosion concerns

Thanks Jim. Doesn't sound as bad as mine.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind