Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 15 June 2023 - Leading Edge, Rib No 2, Tail Light Housing

Default 15 June 2023 - Leading Edge, Rib No 2, Tail Light Housing

Scuffed the outside of the leading edge material with 400 grit sandpaper.

Applied a coat of superfil by wiping it on with a popsicle stick then spreading it with a bondo squeegee. Attempted to create a transition between the ribs and leading edge. Made an initial coat between the wing tank and leading edge. This transition will require at least one or two more coats. Also made a smoother transition around the lift strut bracket.

Marked 4 inch intervals on the wing tank. Used my 4 foot level to bridge between the No 1 and No 3 ribs. Sanded rib reinforcement material down to match the contour of the adjacent ribs. Bonded strips to wing tank and No 2 rib with hysol.

Again using a yard stick to help assess the orientation of the tail light housing. Using the vertical tube the hinges of the rudder are welded. I placed a yard stick on the flat surface of the tail light housing. I measured just above the housing it was 462 mm from the back of the vertical rudder tube. I then measured about 18 inches above the tail light housing and found it measured 495 mm. I checked orientation of the housing and it definitely did not fit flipped over. I then sanded the top of the housing until the distance measured at the two points was 462 mm. (I will attach a photo when I have someone to take the photo because both hands are used to hold the yardsticks.

Called Kitfox about exchanging firewall for a burnished firewall. I wish I knew about this option when I ordered my FWF kit. It would need to be shipped freight which may be cost prohibitive especially both ways. Exploring options I could have it powder coated. I looked at round trip flights. I may be able to fly up for the kitfox fly in and check the firewall as cargo and fly it back. I would need to call the airlines for more information.