Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wingtip ADSB Antenna with Uavionix Echo UAT

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wingtip ADSB Antenna with Uavionix Echo UAT

I put my stub antenna from Uavionix in my wingtip, and made a copper tape ground plane
    and flew for a while. I noticed my ADSB reports were showing dropped packets, so I started
    thinking why this might happen ..? My guess is that in a bank the ground plane masks the
    stub from line of site with the towers. So having played a lot with a home made Stratux in
    the past I knew about an antenna called a "ADSB Spider" (from google) so I fabricated
    one of these as illustrated in the picture below, and peeled out all the copper ground plane
    tape and replaced it.

Results - Much better adsb reports, and I see more traffic.

The spokes are 69mm long, and at about a 40-45 degree angle, it's simply thin copper tubing
    that I had in the shop and it soldered forming a ring that goes under the nut and washer of
    BNC connector.

The wood mount is not used, it is simply something I made to mount the antenna in the wingtip
    when I first was testing it. I tossed it, and simply used the hole from the first version.

Jeff

Current version (which works well)

IMG_20180714_081831.jpg

Original Version - (Not good)

IMG_20180715_150016.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images