Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Engine upgrades for the IV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Engine upgrades for the IV

Looking for a KF-V bit seeing a lot more IV's on the market. Not how sure I trust even a low hour older 2 stroke and am enamoured by the idea of Higher performing STOL.

Could a IV be upgraded to the more modern higher HP engines...something like the 915is or the Aeromomentum AM15 at 115 or 140hp?

Thanks for entertaining a newbies questions.

Default Re: Engine upgrades for the IV

A lightly built KF 4 with a 912uls is a FUN airplane. Just saying.
    Building a KF IV Classic

IV 912 with a big bore and a Luga prop is a rocket!

I IV with an 80 hp 912UL and cheap 68" Warp Drive is an incredible performing airplane. A standard 100 hp ULS or low compression big bore (like mine) is a rocket ship.

Turbo and fuel injected engines are just an excessive amount of weight on the nose of a IV, IMO.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I think the general belief is the lighter IV with 912 at 80-100 is a fine ship. But correct me if I am wrong but TBO on a Rotax, big bore kits and high performance Rotaxs can get pricey.

Wondering how one of the 115HP AM15 engines would fair. $14.5k 1500 TBO and AM says $2500 for TBO.

That's got to be a lot of performance for the $$$

Maybe. Only one Kitfox that I know of ( Nate Ashton) using the Aeromomentum engine. So you'll be dealing with Aeromomentum for engine mount and support since it"s not supported by Kitfox (at least as far as I know). It may very well be an excellent choice. Just be sure and do your research before jumping in.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBeach View Post
    I think the general belief is the lighter IV with 912 at 80-100 is a fine ship. But correct me if I am wrong but TBO on a Rotax, big bore kits and high performance Rotaxs can get pricey.

If you want an airplane that you can insure or re-sell in the future, they aren't so pricey. If you are repowering a IV with a 912, start with a decent used 912 and don't worry about it. I know of several (1200 TBO) 912 engines with over 3000 hours on them. These are not like the antique Lyco-Conti-saurus dinosaur engines.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos