Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fabric cuts on the wing tank transition

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fabric cuts on the wing tank transition

I'm just starting to cover my series 6 wings and I am using Poly-Fiber medium fabric and the Stewarts System Ekobond adhesive. My Kitfox manual tells me to lay the wing down with the bottom side up and start by applying adhesive to the cap ribs and glue the fabric to them first, starting in the middle and working outboard to the ends. Then wrap the front edge of the fabric over the leading edge and up around the top of the leading edge spar. This leading edge area on the fabric should be cut in a "scalloped" pattern in between each rib as the peaks of each scallop wrap more fully around the front spar with the valley of each scallop matching the root of each rib. This is all pretty straightforward where the ribs are concerned but the manual doesn't describe what to do when I get to the wing tank. I'm assuming the scallop pattern should stop and a straight cut should begin and continue across the tank surface, probably at the same level as the bottom of the scalloped area. However, the manual is silent about how far up to go around the leading edge all across that area of the wing tank and whether the fabric cut edge should be straight or pinked. What distance up from the leading edge onto the wing tank have others gone and were your edges there straight or pinked? The first photo shows the scallop pattern from the manual but note that it doesn't show the transition at the wing tank and what to do there. The second photo below shows the transition area I'm attempting to describe in case my description above is unclear. Note that my manual is set up assuming using Poly-tac adhesive but I'm assuming that for my question about fabric trimming it shouldn't matter which adhesive I'm using. Appreciate any insight anyone may wish to contribute.

IMG_3514.jpgIMG_7107.jpg
    Last edited by Birdseyeview; 12-01-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS