Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Windshield/Windscreen thickness question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Windshield/Windscreen thickness question

I have a Model IV Speedster. I replace my windscreen last summer with .080 Lexan from Aircraft Spruce. Making sure the cutouts were sanded and no sharp corners, I installed it with no issues. Except I noticed some stress lines at the door post and carry through tube area. I know this is relatively common for a single lexan sheet installation.

The question I have is....has anyone in the group installed .060 Lexan and if so, has anyone had any issues with the thinner sheet. My thoughts are with the thinner sheet, there is less stress at the compound curve points and the curves of the windscreen should have little effect on wind at around 90mph.

I've researched a replacement windshield from LP Aero and although the cost is around $500, I found a few installation discrepancies on this forum about breakage during installation.

Your thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster