Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: ELT false activation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: ELT false activation

I did not check the cable for a short, seems unlikely but Ill take a look. I forgot to mention that it is intermittent. The first time it send the distress almost immediately, others it takes a few minutes. Once I had it armed and when I turned on the avionics it activated immediately, other times it does not. That being said, it does not activate when the avionics are all off. So I know its something interacting with it. But I cannot figure out what would cause it to be intermittent. I would think it if activates when I turn everything on it would always do so but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I’d disconnect the remote switch and try it again.

Test the theory if it is EMF. I have heard the transponder is very noisy and can cause issues. Have you tried turning off the transponder? Shut it off on the VPX and see if it the ELT activates again? I ran my ELT phone cable on the right side of the fueslage away from all other wires. How involved would it be to reroute you wire away from the transponder antenna and transponder antenna wire ?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I have been using the ACK E-04 for 7 years in my SS7 with no problems whatsoever. It is mounted behind the pilot on the side of the baggage compartment. The antenna is also in that same location just below the ELT.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Dustin I think I would normally agree with you but I think they are independent issues. Also I look at that activation as a fluke because it has never happened before or since and Ive landed/bumped the plane around much harder prior and since.

Moving the remote wire did solve the non-moving activation I was having in my garage.

The remote is made a bit cheaply but mine had not cracked yet...

Oh boy, that's crazy. You said it is happening just above the surface so I won't ask you how hard your landings are .

I have couple of ideas.
    First, fly with your transponder turned off (if you can)and do some low passes & landings to duplicate the scenario.
    Next, maybe you could disconnect the remote switch’sphone cable at the ELT and do some landings. You will need to monitor on 121.5 forELT activation. Resetting the ELT would be a pain because you will need to getto the ELT switch. This would probably trigger a 406 transmission. I think youhave about 50 seconds to cancel it before it sends the 406 data. Maybe youcould advise your local ATC and the people that respond to the 406 calls (AirForce??) and let them know you will be doing some testing that might activateyour 406 ELT.
    Also, I would inspect the remote cable’s connections,security, for chaffing, etc.
    Honestly if you and ACK can’t solve this I would belooking to replace it with another brand.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Curious to know if you ever got this worked out? I am at the point that I need to buy an ELT for my project and don't want to buy a problem.