I've had a lot of problems with the top smooth cowling to my model IV and was hoping I could find a direction to go before I pull engine and start building the firewall. My top cowling did not fit properly to the bottom cowling and I had to cut the top forward with a slit to move the area behind the prop flange back for clearance. While fitting the cowling I noticed that I have to bow in the top cowling to meet the bottom cowling. Now that I have clecoed the top to the bottom it causes the passenger side area around the front door post to bow out quite a ways, over an inch. It also takes quite a bit of pressure for me to hold it in. I have had two ideas on how to fix this issues, I would be most appreciative to hear yours?

This shows the gap on the pilots side...
IMG-1371.jpg
Here is the pilot's side that is pretty good...
IMG-1372.jpg
My best thought is to again, cut the cowling and try to get it to relax into properly place and then fiberglass the cut back together in a slightly new location causing the gap to close. For example, cutting along this line or somewhere in this general area. I haven't give enough thought of exactly where this should be cut yet.
IMG-1403.jpg
I have another idea that I don't like too much and that would be to weld some tabs that will hold that gap closed under pressure that the cowling could slip underneath. What do you think? Thanks for the help in advance.