Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New wing tanks

Default Re: New wing tanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    I have a 2000 model skystar series 5. here in Australia they do not sell ethanol gas without stating. my tanks have been dry for 6-7 years due to being ground looped then i purchased it. they look very good and i am confident they with be fine and most likely would of had only 100LL over their 750hrs in use. should i be concerned as i am currently re bagging the wings but changing the tanks is one hell of a job for nothing.
    James this is not a definitive answer, just a sharing of experience. My Skystar S5 is about the same vintage as yours, first flying in 2007. It now has nearly 500 hours, 90% of which has been on 95 or 98 octane Mogas. Much of that had 5% ethanol. The remaining hours were on 100 LL avgas, when I could not obtain mogas. I am in Europe and we have very good quality fuel delivered to our airfield. Only rarely, on trips, have I used fuel from a local garage.

After reading of issues with earlier model Kitfox fuel tanks I've decided to do an annual check on the tanks - which were treated with Kreem as part of the build process. At the last inspection we drained them completely, including removing the fuel drains. No dirt or contamination was found. We then used torches to visually check the security of the Kreem. It is in good condition except for some cracks where the baffles join the skin - that right angle join - a known problem area on early Kitfoxes. While a little concerned about the cracks we decided that this was not yet causing any issues e.g. no flaking of the Kreem or leaking. We also decided to continue this annual inspection.

In your case I would proceed but keep a close eye on the security of the Kreem at the baffle joints and, as far as possible, avoid ethanol, but keep in mind that fuel without ethanol might be difficult to obtain in the future.

Default Re: New wing tanks

Did you leave the Mogas in the tanks while the aircraft was not used?

I use Mogas here in Germany as well and after flying i drain the tanks to store the plane with empty tanks.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk