Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ordering and Options

Default Re: Ordering and Options

When I bought my kit, the base was 19,999. I put on about about 7k in options, aerotail, dual brakes, adjustable pedals, quick build wings, LLE, etc. Things that if I wanted them, they needed to be installed right away. Everything else I pretty much left out. Believe me, that initial kit will keep you going for quite a while. I went the used engine, prop, and avionics route. There are things you will have to spend money on and things you can find deals on. It’s also a learning curve to learn when you should spend the money because it’s cheaper in the long run. But the good news is if you space out a lot of the purchases, you can get started, get on the forum, and then you will slowly pick up on what others have done. The plane I have today almost ready to fly is a lot different than the plane I had imagined when I first started my kick...and that evolution is a good thing.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Yeah, it has definitely ballooned since I started looking and pricing all my wants. There are a few things on your list that are not needed like carb heat and others that have less costly options, but I think it’s a realistic pricing maybe even low because there are costs that don’t make the list like 4130 streamline struts and composite leading edge. When I started the research I was thinking 60-70k, now thinking just under 100k. I guess I better get a demo flight to help know it’ll be worth it.

Oh, and just to give you an idea, I’ll be all in for about $70,000 CDN. I bought the kit when our dollar was more valuable than yours.

I have pretty much every option you would want. Used Rotax 914, Airmaster prop, 8 year old GRT EFIS and EIS(Also used. The sensors came with which was big costs savings), and aftermarket EFI

Now granted, I got a hell of a deal on the engine, prop, and avionics but deals are out there. Rotech in Vernon has factory rebuilt 914s for about 10,000 less than brand new and in CDN dollars.

If I bought everything new I’d be closer to 95,000 CDN
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Josh, where did you find the used engine and avionics? Oh, I see you just answered the engine question. Thanks.

Also, what are people’s opinions about tinted doors and windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Yeah, it has definitely ballooned since I started looking and pricing all my wants. There are a few things on your list that are not needed like carb heat and others that have less costly options, but I think it’s a realistic pricing maybe even low because there are costs that don’t make the list like 4130 streamline struts and composite leading edge. When I started the research I was thinking 60-70k, now thinking just under 100k. I guess I better get a demo flight to help know it’ll be worth it.
    I would never pay for those 4130 streamline struts. You could make custom carbon fibre strut fairings for half the cost and probably be lighter. He also did have the composite leading edge on that list.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Josh, where did you find the used engine and avionics?

Also, what are people’s opinions about tinted doors and windshield?
    I have the tint. It’s very light but considering you are sitting in a big greenhouse, I wouldn’t not want it.

I found the engine and avionics believe it or not on Kijiji. A guy an hour north of me cracked up his pelican and sold. The project. I pretty much used it all for parts. KMach on this forum has a used 912ULS for sale. Not sure what he wants for it but used engines are out there. He’s in Saskatchewan too so maybe he’s selling in CDN
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Yeah, I missed the LLE. Thanks for all the info learning more all the time.

. When I started the research I was thinking 60-70k, now thinking just under 100k. I guess I better get a demo flight to help know it’ll be worth it.
    This is where I am at too. I know that I don't want some "Contraption" that I have fashioned out of used motorcycles parts and Home Depot fodder. I Really like this airplane for 65K. At 100k there are a lot of other things that come into play (at least me) and that "might as well clause' is a wicked mistress i'm sure.
    The Viking engine will shave a good 5k off, and perhaps keeping the plane a basic Day VFR flyer will make the best use of money. The modern day I PAD "seems" to be a really power tool for the cockpit, and perhaps that may be a great addition to a simplified panel, but I have yet to use one.

Believe me 100k would be something with every bell and whistle you can imagine. 75k is probably the completed average. You can wait for a model 5-7 to come up used and modify it the way you have it.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I know that I don't want some "Contraption" that I have fashioned out of used motorcycles parts and Home Depot fodder.
    The Viking engine will shave a good 5k off,
    Seems like a contradiction of terms and ideas. The Viking starts as used Honda engine with unknown and untraceable past, built by JE who has quite a "following".

Have fun, YMMV, Greg