Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: iFLY 720 GPS

Default Re: iFLY 720 GPS

Sweet Paul !
    Keep us updated
    KF IV 912 N212LH

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Do you have a photo of your mount?
    Here are a few of them Paul. I spent way too much time on this little project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Spending toooo much time on an airplane project is similar to spending tooo much money on the airplane. It's a given, just ask the wife! Realize I fly one of the Kitfox SLSAs.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 08-19-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added one comment
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I went up to look at the iFly 720, in McKinney Texas. It's pretty nice but the actual picture quality of the display is not very good. The 720's display has a lot of artifacts, they use a low resolution image which causes the artifacts. I use to work at Texas instruments on the digital imaging displays, so image quality is something I am just little anal retentive about. The image quality of the maps on the Apple are far superior to that of the iFly 720.

They offer their mapping software for both an iPad's and other tablets. I went to the Apple store and bought myself another iPad, since mine was distroyed. I opted to buy the mapping software for the iPad to give their software a try. I really like some of the features on their software such as the warnings when you're entering class B, C, or D airspaces. They also offer, for an additional $20, the ability to have multiple platforms on which you use your their software. so you can use their software on both the iFly 720 and an iPad if you'd like to compare the two. We walked out the back door of their office with the iFly 720 to look at it in direct sunlight. If I use a glare filter on my iPad I believe the pictures just as readable. Also, the display of the iFly is smaller than an iPad Mini, for me that is way too small.

As soon as I use both ForeFlight and the iFly software together I'll do a comparison of each one of the softwares.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 08-24-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention iPad Mini
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks Paul. The iFly was an item I didn't look into at Oshkosh. Should have.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    As soon as I use both ForeFlight and the iFly software together I'll do a comparison of each one of the softwares.
    Looking forward to reading your review.... i am using foreflight demo till 8 Sept then will have to commit to something.
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I am subscribed to foreflight.

From flight planning to moving map it has it all , everything I will ever need .

I really like it and would not want to go back to unfolding maps in the cockpit !
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Flew for a little over 2 hours Sunday, the route took us through and under Class B and Luke AFB satr. The I pad mini was a big help as you might imagine. My mini has been cross country and used here in the desert and never shut off from heat (yet) On another note, we also had a Garmin ADS B on board which turned out to be interesting. Phoenix is the flight training capital of the world and therefore we have a lot of traffic. At one point we were 2 miles from a young man with poor English that was "crossing over runway for right teardrop to left downwind for runway 5 for touch and a go".
    Could not see him but used the AERA target and communication to keep clear until he was established on base. I'm 80 and not a fan of head down in the cockpit but a glance to the I pad and the AERA in this area is helpful, even in a Kitfox

Phil

I have purchased an Apple iPad Air with that has the new A7 processor, 2core 64 bit processor. Hopefully my overheating will be resolved with the dual core processor.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

The one thing I don't like about the iFly Software versus tha ForeFlight is the fact it shows only one sectional at a time. To get the adjacent sectional you are forced to touch the screen. Foreflight has seamless sectionals. It shows all of the US.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas