Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tubing Pads for behind head

Default Tubing Pads for behind head

Has anyone done this in their plane? I cannot be the only one that gets into my plane and looks at that tube behind our heads and thinks - " a bit of rough turbulence and I can be taking a nap mid air"

If youve padded those tubes, please post up some pictures and materials you used. Id love to see some of your solutions to this before I go get some pool noodles and get to work (joking but the oldschool off road guys will remember those days)

Default Re: Tubing Pads for behind head

In 8.5 years I have gone thru many incidents of unexpected bad turbulence and never once has my head banged against those tubes behind my head. I have hit the canopy roof numerous times. In case of a crash, most likely your head would be thrown forward. My own opinion is that the fabric sleeves that cover the tubes behind your head are adequate. The most important thing to do is keep your seatbelt very tight if turbulence is likely. My 2 cents.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I agree that in normal ops, even considering turbulence and hard landings, I don't think hitting your head on those is going to be a problem. That said, the Kitfox I got in October had pads on those tubes. A common hardware store split pipe insulation sleeve was wrapped around it and then a simple cloth cover with a velcro closure over that. I didn't put them back on when I rebuilt the airplane.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I have 2 pieces of split conduit insulation on mine. I'll try to remember to take a few pictures tomorrow.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Look for BMX bike pads. They come pre-cut, with cloth covers available in all sorts of fabrics.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I have an industrial sewing machine, and I used Cordura, and backed it up with sew foam, then put velcro on
    the ends. Was quite simple to do, looks better, and actually I've never bumped my head on either the tubes,
    or the padding in the 20'ish years I've been flying N85AE.

Comes off as quickly as unfastening Velcro

Jeff

4124.jpg

thank you all for your posts! Im likely going with that conduit insulation with a BMX bike pad wrapped around it. Lets see if I can find a few of those sweet ass neon green and black Schwinn handlebar pads from the 80's