Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zenair #1450 Floats KF7 SS

Default Re: Zenair #1450 Floats KF7 SS

Hello guys! My first post/comment on the forum.. I'm traveling to NH this weekend to become part of the KF family and pick up a Model IV-1200. It is on grove gear and comes with a set of Avid Amphibs. I'm breaking ground on an open front hangar and would like someone to tell me what the overall height of the KF will be sitting on the amphibs. I don't want the hangar to be excessively tall, just enough to have comfortable clearance on the floats. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Hello River fox,
    I have a KF7 SS with Zenair 1450 straight floats, tail height is around 120" with the floats on the ground. Im sure the IV is different, it will also make a difference how they are mounted. You may want to start a new thread under general discussion. There are people here that have IV's with floats. Welcome to the KF family! All the best, David

New thread created!

Thanks

Hi guys, video of folding the wings on the water, all the best, David

https://youtu.be/NmAhhWlxYWc

Very stable on those floats even with wings folded and walking aft of C.O.B.
    You’ve got a controlled and thorough procedure.

First thought though was , “don’t drop those front spar pins”! Splash!
    Might want to order a couple spare just in case along with a couple backup safety clips.😉

Tech question: my impression after looking over Zenair’s site is that the float to fuselage mounting brackets are provided by the customer. Question is, did you have to manufacture your fuselage attachment brackets or does Zenair now make them available for the Kitfox later models? Also, when you make adjustments to your angle of incidence, where do you make that change? Hopefully you don’t have to make new mounting brackets each time.
    Thanks for the videos and your feedback David.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks Steve,
    I've thought the same thing about those pins, (I do have some spares) cant tell you how many tools have fallen in. I keep a large magnet on the dock!

Regarding the mounting brackets, Zenair sells the "KF kit" that has the machined parts and the Kitfox factory sells the one missing attach bracket for the front. It attaches to the front landing gear bolt holes in the frame. To make adjustments yes, I had to order a couple new parts $65.00 from Zenair but it turned out to be the easiest way. I just was not comfortable putting in extra holes, I expect it could be done but..... Anyway a 5/8" drop in the rear mount added 1.5 deg.
    All the best, David

Thanks David. Great info. Somehow I knew you would have spar pins.👍

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear