Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zenair #1450 Floats KF7 SS

Default Zenair #1450 Floats KF7 SS

Hi all,
    I built and installed Zenair #1450 Straight floats on my KF7 SS
    Much thanks to this site and the float enthusiast here. I am very pleased with the way it turned out, prop clearance, w + b, floating with wings folded, handling on the water, etc. I will be trying different settings to get the best combination for my set up. Also attached some video links on the performance. Thanks again for a such a great resource and the people who make it. All the best David Price

Kitfox 7 SS, 912 uls
    Warp Drive 3 blade taper tip 70" 11.5 deg 95 kt @5500 90 kts @5200 ias
    Float to wing angle 3 deg (changing to 4)
    Step 4" aft rear most C of G
    23" frame above floats
    6'-3" float center
    EW trigear #830
    EW 1450S #930

https://youtu.be/oAp4cNwUmN4

https://youtu.be/Pxv4X7bLFjE

https://youtu.be/dpvjoQ03494
    Last edited by korbike; 07-15-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Default Re: Zenair #1450 Floats KF7 SS

Man, that thing looks terrific. I want floats now.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Great job David. Beautiful Kitfox and the performance looks impressive. Well done. Thanks for the videos and will be watching for more water adventures in the future.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

That looks really nice. Thanks for putting all the numbers and dimensions on the forum. I'm curious how adding one degree more of deck angle will help; let us know.

I flew floats exclusively for 7 years and got about 3000 hours. I would like to consider doing this someday. How long did it take you to make the floats?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Wow, I missed the "I built" statement. Those are really nice David.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks guys,
    the floats are not that difficult, took about 2 months of steady work, the second one goes much faster. Gluing and riveting takes about a week each float. These are the straight floats so I would think amphibs would be about another month, at least for me.
    The reason for adding another degree to the deck angle, right now I have to lift the plane with elevator, when I'm solo no problem, popping the flaps works great, however with a passenger I end up dragging the ends of the floats and that slows things down. The most weight I have had on floats is half fuel and 380 lbs pilot and passenger. The best time with that weight has been about 15 sec with light wind. Flying on the river has many challenges and I'm new to this water flying so I'm sure I have lots to learn. I'll be sure to report back here and on the videos on the changes with the deck angle and ventral fin. We need more float plane pilots so hopefully having some numbers for the KF 7 will help.

All the best,
    David Price

I would jump into that float plane stuff but as I understand it, California pretty much prohibits landing on lakes. They must be able to do it up north or the guys building the Icon A5 wouldn't have chosen California I suppose. Congrats for getting into float flying, fly safe.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie,
    I believe your right CA is not that friendly to float planes, Isabella Lake maybe. Colorado is worse and does not allow any float flying. We have plenty of water here in TN, and generally speaking all water ways are open to float flying, just bring Kitfox and Floats! All the best, David

The ventral fin in my opinion, helps a great deal with the yaw. Banking right or left the nose stays on point. It fly's much like it did without the floats. Kitfox sells the tube frame and I covered it with the poly fiber system. If you buy one I would suggest they leave the front attach tabs about an inch longer and not drilled, other wise you may end up bending it to fit.
    Regarding the 4.5 degree change from the float to the bottom of the fuselage at the door, I originally had 3 degrees. 4.5 or even 5 would not be to much in my opinion, the 1450's are pretty long so the increase in the angle helps lift the tail. Less water drag on takeoff allows for a quicker takeoff and greater payload. YMMV

All the best, David

Here is another float video for those interested, not much technical data but some beautiful scenery in the Smokey Mountains. Earlier versions of this video were blocked, copy right issues, my apologies, should be working now.

https://youtu.be/gD_rvEzAy1A

All the best, David