Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Insert too Long Question

Default Insert too Long Question

Ordered & just received parts (Spar & Insert) for my Classic 4 Speedster - turns out the parts are for the new series 7 ... insert is about 6.75 inches longer / spar is thicker (wall dims) but same diameter - anybody else have a similar prob?? If so, how did you resolve the problem? It would be nice to just 'split the difference' with the insert (extra 3+ inches at each end) / more rivets / simple fix?? but will do whatever's necessary to get back on track!!

Thanks

John Rockit

Default Re: Insert too Long Question

Curious. Is the part you received the one the factory supplies for a Model IV repair or did they send you the wrong part?
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Curious. Is the part you received the one the factory supplies for a Model IV repair or did they send you the wrong part?
    Not sure - got the insert directly from the folks at KF - I'm figuring it's the wrong part … sure hope I don't have to wait another year to get the right part

Let me know how you make out. I need one of these too for my model 6
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

It’s a stronger and stiffer spar so would have thought it should be ok. But to confirm and get advice on installation, call the factory. They are there to help you.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Let me know how you make out. I need one of these too for my model 6
    Everything seems to have worked out ... got a note from John @ KF about it - ended up cutting the insert down to the same size as the Mod 4's insert / 'notched' it with a skinny blade / cleaned it up with some 320 / 360 / 400 & denatured alcohol / slid the parts together & rivetted them together as per inst for the Mod 4 (Speedster)! Hope to get the Epoxy on it today. Just as a heads up, the parts are a little thicker (beefier) than on the Mod 4 (spar walls are thicker & so are the inserts) added just over a lb to the total weight of the based on the original - love it when a story has a happy ending

That is great John. Glad the factory could clarify that.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X