Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Windshield

Default Cracked Windshield

I’m pretty bummed. I haven’t even got to start working on my new kit I just picked up and I cost myself over 1000 dollars. I was trying to move the massive box the windshield is in and was having a hard time because it was too big to fit through the door where I’m storing my parts. I took the windshield out of the box and while carrying it I heard a pop and sure enough it cracked right at the spar carry through. I had no idea it was so fragile. Looks like the smoked windshield lists at 860.00 plus freight on the Kitfox website though I’m not sure if the price is accurate. I’m thinking I won’t order a new one until I need it. I was feeling motivated and getting stuff ready to start working but this definitely took the wind out of my sails. I’ll get over it but the money would have been nice spent elsewhere. Makes me nervous about handling the new one when I get it.IMG_2696.jpg

Default Re: Cracked Windshield

Stop drill it and get some of this to fix it. Yes it will leave a mark but its an option.

https://www.amazon.com/Weldon-Applic...%2C165&sr=8-31
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Stop drill it and get some of this to fix it. Yes it will leave a mark but its an option.

https://www.amazon.com/Weldon-Applic...%2C165&sr=8-31
    Thanks I’ll look into it. I’ll stop drill it now then order some. If it saves me money I’m all for it. We’ll see if the OCD can look past the crack if it works lol.

This didn't happen to me, but I can completely understand your pain. This has been mentioned many times on this forum because it has happened to several people. Some have said use 2 people to position on plane. I always handled it myself without issue. That way the left hand knows what the right hand is doing. Maybe I was just lucky.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Hard to tell from your photo, but if its at that spar carry thru part of the windshield, that area is covered with a trim cover and wouldn't be seen. so if you can stop drill and repair it you'll be in luck. some hints that you will find out about later , make sure its warm when you're handling it (70 deg or higher) and special drill bits for acylic are used to drill hole ( the points of the drill bit are steeper than normal.) Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    Hard to tell from your photo, but if its at that spar carry thru part of the windshield, that area is covered with a trim cover and wouldn't be seen. so if you can stop drill and repair it you'll be in luck. some hints that you will find out about later , make sure its warm when you're handling it (70 deg or higher) and special drill bits for acylic are used to drill hole ( the points of the drill bit are steeper than normal.) Bruce N199CL
    It is the spar carry through area. Well I guess there’s a little bit of hope. Worse case I buy a new windshield.

If you do order a new windshield, be very deliberate about inspection when it's delivered. Kitfox has them drop-shipped from LP Aero Plastics (see page 81 of their catalog PDF) and due to their size, they ship via motor freight.

The windshield that came with my second-hand kit was damaged so I ordered a new one. It arrived with a hole poked in the box, and whatever object did the damage reached the windshield inside. Fortunately it was obvious so I refused the shipment.

I've had some freight delivery drivers -- like the guy who delivered my first windshield -- allow me to inspect carton contents, but others have told me, "you open it, you accept it," and I've gotten burned. Check everything you can and don't let the driver talk you into signing the bill of lading until you're happy. If the carton is damaged and the driver doesn't want you to open it, trust your gut; refusing a shipment costs you nothing but time.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    If you do order a new windshield, be very deliberate about inspection when it's delivered. Kitfox has them drop-shipped from LP Aero Plastics (see page 81 of their catalog PDF) and due to their size, they ship via motor freight.

The windshield that came with my second-hand kit was damaged so I ordered a new one. It arrived with a hole poked in the box, and whatever object did the damage reached the windshield inside. Fortunately it was obvious so I refused the shipment.

I've had some freight delivery drivers -- like the guy who delivered my first windshield -- allow me to inspect carton contents, but others have told me, "you open it, you accept it," and I've gotten burned. Check everything you can and don't let the driver talk you into signing the bill of lading until you're happy. If the carton is damaged and the driver doesn't want you to open it, trust your gut; refusing a shipment costs you nothing but time.
    I read the sheet about it and it went as far as to say open and inspect and if they won't wait for you to inspect then refuse delivery. I'm guessing there have been several that have been damaged.

Since they're closer to me than Kitfox, I ordered directly from LP Aero Plastics to save on shipping. I wanted a one-piece windshield as compared to my 1998 2 piece model. FedEx 18 wheeler pulls up and unloads the big box with good size hole in it. Driver sensed I was about to refuse it and told me to go ahead and open it ( he even helped). Luckily the foam filled garbage bags did their job so no damage. My engine and FWF came from Kitfox via R&L Carriers and both drivers were excellent. I guess a lot will depend on the driver. I agree, if damage is seen and they won't let you open it before signing, refuse it.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    Here is the wing cuff trim cover that I'm talking about
    Attached Images Attached Images