Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lizard skin stick grips

Default Lizard skin stick grips

Greetings all,

I've searched the forum and no one ever addressed an insert for the top of the lizard grip stick grips. I had some inserts machined up and I'm happy to report they work and feel great!

Please find the attached pictures for those of you who would like to use the design.

Cheers,
    Po

Kitfox IV
    912 ULS
    70" IVO Prop
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Lizard skin stick grips

Here is a diagram/drawing with some dimensions I used and an final install picture. Additionally, I haven't figured out how to rotate images so I apologize in advance.

Cheers,
    Po
    IMG-2456.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Which PTT button did you use? In his installation TP uses a button that is quiet a lot larger than the standard.
    The larger being much better in my opinion !

I used the existing switches (Part # 11-14195) which can be found here: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages...ag11-14195.php

Mine have a dust cover which have been worn off!

I too like the larger switch hat, but can't justify the $$ for new PTT switches when these work. Eventually they will be replaced, but not any time soon.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Po

Hi Po, Thanks for sharing your design. Are those the Lock-On Shorty Grips from Lizards Skins? I just ordered the Lock-On Bearclaw grips and am hoping they aren't too long, or I may have to return and get the shorties.

I am 3D printing the ptt button insert and am using a URTONE UR168 momentary push-button. I will share my design once it is complete. Travelling this week, so hoping to finish it up early next week.

Dan
    Kitfox IV
    912UL

You’re welcome. Affirm, they are shorties. Note the bottom clamp holds the grip to the tube and the top secures the PTT insert. Don’t slide the grip all the way down to the bend in the tube or the bend will put tension between the clamp and the plastic portion of the grip. You’ll see how the clamps are attached to the plastic portion with two clips.

It it will be cool to see your design/finished product.

Cheers,
    Po

I just got mine in the mail. two different color clamps with N69EF laser etched into them. Going to be nice. No hurry though since Im flying a bunch. Maybe at my annual.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Please post a pic whenever you get them installed.

Cheers,
    Po

Quote Originally Posted by Podunc View Post
    You’re welcome. Affirm, they are shorties. Note the bottom clamp holds the grip to the tube and the top secures the PTT insert...Cheers,
    Po
    Here is an update on my PTT switch and control grip replacement. I created a 3d modeled/rendering and 3d printed the button/grip adapter. The 3d printed adapter has with M16x1 threads to allow the PTT button to be threaded directly into the adapter, which eliminates the need to use the provided nut. I removed the control sticks, removed the old grips and PTT buttons, removed the control stick paint and repainted with gloss black. The new button is due to arrive today and the wiring/connectors will arrive tomorrow by Thursday. I chose 4pin JST SM connectors which will allow easy removal of the control stick in the future without the need to cut the wiring. Heat shrink will be place on the wire near the control stick exit hole to protect the wiring.

Total weights:
    LizardSkins Bearclaw: 105 grams (x2)
    3D Printed adapter: 4.12 grams (x2)
    Button: 22 grams (will confirm actual weight when the button arrives) (x2)

Here are a few pics of the progress:

Kitfox_PTT_Grip.jpg

121AW 3d Slice.jpg

121AW PTT Button 3d Print.jpg

121AW Control Stick.jpg

Very nice. Shoot, I may go your route!

I like the blue accents next to the PTT button.