Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox owner or mechanic near Pocatello

Question Kitfox owner or mechanic near Pocatello

My friend purchased an assembled and flying Super Sport with the Jabiru engine. It is in good shape, but, needs a condition inspection. It's been sitting on the trailer in a hangar for 3 years. He is not a pilot and wants to get his license in it. I'm hoping to find a knowledgeable person in this area to go through the plane with us (I am a pilot with my own plane) and get it approved for flight. Appreciate any leads. Thanks!!

Default Re: Kitfox owner or mechanic near Pocatello

You or your friend just need to find a local A&P who will do the inspection and sign it off. It's not that hard to find someone to do it, and I think he should expect to pay between $350 and $700, if nothing needs repaired. It's best to find an A&P that welcomes owner involvement. You can't just have a Kitfox owner look it over and sign it off.
    Bartman
    Retired USAF
    Kitfox 5
    N617BR

$350 - $700 for a conditional inspection? Wow! do I feel better now. Cost me way less, and he comes to my place. Make some friends at the airport, and perhaps try to find an AnP that does it as a sideline on weekends and evenings and has a day job doing something else. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    $350 - $700 for a conditional inspection? Wow! do I feel better now. Cost me way less, and he comes to my place. Make some friends at the airport, and perhaps try to find an AnP that does it as a sideline on weekends and evenings and has a day job doing something else. JImChuk
    I'm glad to hear it cost you "way less." However, I think you missed the whole point of my response to his question. My point was that it takes more than just a "Kitfox Owner" to conduct an Annual Condition Inspection, and it costs money. I just had my inspection done and paid $350, but I had talked to a few other A&Ps who charged quite a bit more.
    Bartman
    Retired USAF
    Kitfox 5
    N617BR

Sorry if I caused any offence. Definatly didn't mean to. Guess the last part of my post was most expressing my feelings as far as getting to know people at the airport and maybe finding an AnP who works another job and does the AnP stuff as a sideline. Sorry, JImChuk

Thank you for the replies. I understand that the condition inspection requires an A&P sign-off and I've got a couple of A&Ps to call. However, the general maintenance on the airplane can be done by the owner. I'd like my friend to get experience in all the basics of the airplane because I think it he should learn to go through the plane regularly and evaluate the "trouble" spots. I've participated for nearly 20 years in all the maintenance on my Mooney, so, I know the plane very well. It has several things that are very specific to Mooneys. However, I have no experience with the kitfox, so, I was hoping there would be an friendly owner in the area that can provide good advice on what to look for. Thank you again.