Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 914 install

Default 914 install

I am getting along with the engine install. Battery, solenoids, oil lines.... all in. I am about to install the TCU, capacitor and other stuff. Does anyone have pictures of where the items are located on the firewall and avionics trays? As much as I have enjoyed doing many of the steps twice, I would like to avoid having to move hardware once it is installed.

I will be installing the G3X and have no idea what that hardware looks like or where it goes, so I want to make sure my engine stuff won’t interfere with that. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Default Re: 914 install

My TCU was front and centre on the cockpit side of the firewall. It worked out well but it's not the best. Can't say I really have a better recommendation though...
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I made an extra tray. The downside is that you have to partially remove the boot cowl to service. I actually had to replace my servo cable twice (Don't worry - it's doubtful that you will have to), and it wasn't too bad to get under the boot cowl to do it.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Brian,

that picture is very helpful. Do you have a picture of the other side, and of the engine (to see your harness routing, and how you secured the harnesses)
    Did you do a glass display or analog instruments and radios?

Where did you source your aluminum plate and angle, and what thickness?

Steve
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 07-10-2019 at 06:59 AM.

It's a Dynon HDX 11" setup. Unfortunately, I don't have a good picture of it all complete behind the panel. I did a similar plate on the left side that has the capacitor, voltage regulator, and the Dynon engine monitoring module. I mounted a computer fan on the voltage regulator to keep give it some cooling air.

I don't recall the aluminum thickness - maybe .050? I think it's a little beefier than what Kitfox supplied for the other trays; I used what I had on hand. You might just measure your other trays and order that. If I had it to do over again, I would have brought the trays to work and bent them on a sheet metal brake to stiffen them instead of riveting aluminum angle to them.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Brian,

your panel looks very nice. I have a much better idea of what I want to do with mine. The Kitfox trays look like they might be sufficient for my install. What went on the KF trays in your plane?

Steve

On the right are my Radios - COM, Transponder, and ADS-B IN. Also, my EFIS backup battery. On the left is the Advanced Control Module which provides signal and power routing, electronic circuit breakers, trim control, etc.

Without the ACM, I might have been able to fit it all on the Kitfox trays, and that would make things more servicable.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I meant what brand are the switches? Do you like them? Would you use same ones if you had another plane?

I bought a Quick Panel (now called AdvancedPanel) from Advanced Flight Systems. The switches came with it. If you look for "SPDT LED rocker switch" You should be able to find something very similar. I like them very much. You'll have some SPST switches too, but I like combining some switch functions with SPDT switches. i.e. Heater High/Off/Low, Landing lights ON/OFF/PULSE, and nav lights NAV/OFF/STROBE (the strobe position turns on NAV and STROBE lights). It makes for a cleaner panel.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

the holes in the regulator looks like 5/16”, and the hardware called for in the manual in an AN3 bolt. Obviously, the AN3 is plenty strong to hold it to the tray, but it seems weird to have a small bolt in a large hole.
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 07-10-2019 at 10:02 AM.