Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onboard tool kit

Default Onboard tool kit

I was asked by a friend and fellow Kitfox owner/builder for feedback about what tools to carry in the Kitfox. I always carried a tool bag that weighed about 8 lbs. in my Thorp, but that seems way more than I need for potential simple maintenance/repairs when traveling away from home in the Kitfox. I've got a pretty good idea what I'm going to carry, but I wondered if others would share their thoughts about that. I'll post my tool list when I finalize it. Allen wrenches, as well as a small 1/4" socket set are on my list, but I want to limit the number of sockets & wrenches to only what I need for the Rotax 912 ULS as well as general airframe hardware (both metric and fractional sizes). Has anyone got a list of the common sizes needed for the Rotax?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: Onboard tool kit

Photo of the “kit” I usually take on cross country flights. The Screw gun doesn’t always get to go along as it’s a little heavy. I do like the portable tire inflator. Basic universal tools. All fits in the low profile plastic tub. So far haven’t needed anything but the tire inflator, AA batteries and the rain ponchos.

D6EF6B56-772E-4E5D-9D14-029035167A5D.jpg
    8367188E-5D78-4635-9138-79563EB77916.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Good Idea to make a recommended list. I once needed a soldering iron to repair the wiring to my video camera mount and a butane powered soldering iron with flux and solder became a regular item in my tool kit. The only time it was used was in the repair of a broken ignition module wire on one of the other guys Kitfoxes during a back country trip. Ill have to look through my bag to see whats tools are there, but I know I had several sizes of camloc fasteners and other fasteners for fairings etc. that might work loose and get lost in flight.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Kitfox or Twin Otter???

1/4" socket set, screwdriver, pliers and a Visa card.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I carry a leatherman, spare safety pins for the wing and aileron bolts, and spare AN3 bolts for the rear tail wheel spring mount.

It probably depends on where you are flying - or more specifically, how isolated the area is that your flying in. If repair facilities are likely to be close at hand Vs being very remote and having to solve problems yourself. For my remote flying in OZ I carry the following:
    Pliers - pointy nose and snub nose
    Phillips head and slot screw drivers
    small shifting spanner
    3/8" and !/2" spanners
    Spark plug socket and driver
    Leatherman
    small gas heat gun
    solder
    electrical wire
    crimp terminals
    fuses
    safety wire
    assortment of AN3 and AN4 nuts bolts and washers
    spare spark plug
    spare EGT sensor
    cable ties
    Oil
    Coolant
    Tapes - electrical and gaffa

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Ahhh, Timely post John. I have been carrying my tool bag that I carried as a UH-60 Crewchief. I have been meaning to trim it down. Thanks Steve for the pic. I have been meaning to call Earth X about a jumper. I was under the impression Jumping an Earth X is not advised. I know they don't want you to jump via our conventional means but I see they have a source of power for sale. Surely you have researched how yours is acceptable VS those power sources sold by places like Costco. Care to add to our knowledge regarding your purchase of the EarthX jumper?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I purchased EarthX’s jumper at AirVenture last year on sale. Also purchased their jumper extension cables that will allow me to jump start right from the pilot’s seat. No need to remove cowlings anymore. Start and go all by yourself. Their website has a huge amount of information on the care and feeding of these batteries.

Tool kits are pretty dependent on where you fly. Often I am a 20 mile hike to the nearest “road” where you might see one rancher’s truck every 3 days if you get lucky.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Has anyone used Knipex plier-wrenches? It seems like these would be good in a compact toolkit, as they would take the place of a wrench set. My concern is that they would be too bulky to be useful in a lot of situations, and they are pretty spendy.

https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-860325.../dp/B000X4OG94
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I have those exact pliers in the hangar tool box, mostly used for squeezing rivets.

I carry a small canvas toolbag in the plane with essential metric and sae size wrenches, multitool, small crescent wrench, screw drivers, appropriate Allen keys, needle nose pliers, silicone tape, chunk of safety wire, spare fuses, extra electric trim switch, etc, weighs 4 lbs.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW