Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Onboard tool kit

Default Re: Onboard tool kit

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Ahhh, Timely post John. I have been carrying my tool bag that I carried as a UH-60 Crewchief. I have been meaning to trim it down. Thanks Steve for the pic. I have been meaning to call Earth X about a jumper. I was under the impression Jumping an Earth X is not advised. I know they don't want you to jump via our conventional means but I see they have a source of power for sale. Surely you have researched how yours is acceptable VS those power sources sold by places like Costco. Care to add to our knowledge regarding your purchase of the EarthX jumper?
    Hi Eddie, I bought the Earth X jump pack a couple years ago and love it. Initially I was a bit cautious with it because of the problems everyone hears about these new fangaled lithiums, but that has faded now and I am amazed that this little unit can do what it does. I specifically bought it for a booster for my IO-240 powered Series 5, as the main odyssey battery is in the empennage for wt & bal. purposes and you can imagine with the long cable run ,starts are sometimes problematic as the weather cools down here in upstate NY . With it hooked up the engine spins like a turbine when I hit the starter. I wired an Earth X compatible plug in the cockpit ,so I can plug it in while I'm in the seat, fire it up and go. When the jump pack isn't in the airplane , its in my truck and here is where it amazes me-I have used it to start my snow plow truck when the battery died, my tractor and various other pieces of equipment. It has never failed to start anything I have used it on, a very handy unit . You can even use it to charge tablets , cell phones etc thru a usb port on the unit. Its always part of my travel kit. The Lipo safe silver case is something I bought to store the jump pack before I trusted the Earth X.Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys, I am going to order one of those.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Ross for the very comprehensive list. That's now the basis for mine, in addition to a jump starter, tyre puncture repair kit and first aid kit including snake bite compression bandage. We have some lethal critters in parts of our outback .....
    David
    SS7 Builder

Yep, I left out the jump starter and the tyre repair kit - and I also had a hand pump - it was lighter than a 12v pump and also worried about flattening the battery.
    getting close now Dave!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    ........ getting close now Dave!

r
    Yep, sure is. Will e-mail you ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

I'm going off the top of my head here so I might miss some things:

Safety Wire
    Safety pliers
    Phillips, Robbie, flat screwdriver
    Small Side cutters
    1/4" ratchet with various imperial sockets 5/16" to 9/16"
    Two stage tire pump with tire puncture repair kit
    3/8" wrench and second 3/8" gear wrench
    7/16" wrench and second 7/16" gear wrench
    Small wrenches for waste gate cable adjustment
    1" wide black gorilla tape
    Spare fuses
    Needle nose pliers
    3/8" wrench and second 3/8
    Zip ties
    Oil, coolant
    Small Volt meter

I use a bag that came with a screwdriver set I once boat. The whole thing is the size and weight of a healthy burrito
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Must be a REAL healthy burrito, Josh! Lots of good ideas!

Thanks everyone... I believe that if I ever flew into some real isolated backcountry, I would want to have DesertFox4 & his airplane with me in case we needed to build a cabin or something.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I’ve been watching and waiting for someone to list duct tape or 100mph tape. Come on guys and what about bailing wire? HA!
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Naw, the bailing wire is there.... It's always referred to as "Safety Wire".
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X