Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garmin G3x Wiring Questions

Default Re: Garmin G3x Wiring Questions

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    They are the same pins as Dsub pins. You need a Dsub pin crimping tool, similar to this:

https://www.steinair.com/product/4-way-indent-crimper/

Just Google Dsub crimping tool and you can watch a video on how it is used.
    Yes I have that tool. These have different pins than all the rest of the connectors? Garmin only gave 4 of them so I was wondering if these are solder pins. My elt I tried to crimp with this tool and the male dsub would not hold the wire on because the wire was so small of wire I had to solder them.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I have that very crimper. I works well. Bad thing was, stripping wire that small caused me to have to buy another wire stripper that had that gauge. Back to the device. I don't have anything like that for the G3X. The closest thing I have is the one that goes in my Transponder connector. It was more of a chip encased in epoxy, not black. It does hold information that the transponder uses to identify you to ATC.
    hmmm......It shows it in the installation manual and says there is details to install the configuration module in chapter 20 but cant seem to find more info on where this is suppose to mount. I am going to go back and check transponder because I did not see anything like you mention on my transponder. I have the GTX45R.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Capture.jpg

Just found this.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing that but it is likely that when the avionics built my harnesses, they had removed all the connector stuff from my boxes already. The only reason I recognize what it is is because I had to replace mine when Garmin took my radio back to do a software change. When I got my radio back I was instructed to swap this device that was in the connector. Let us know when you figure out where it is to be installed.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Capture.PNG

I found it. It goes in the big harness that connects to the back of the G3X. The pins they supplied are dsub pins but made for the very small wire is what I am guessing as the hole where you put the wire in is much smaller than the other pins supplied by garmin. That makes sense Eddie thanks. After reading it sounds like it stores configuration of each LRU connected via can bus. It says when you power up the LRU it basically downloads configuration for the LRU from this device is the best I can interpret.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I didn't have time to reply till now, but I have been able to see all of the responses throughout the day. I'm glad you figured this out because you need to have the configuration module installed in the connector for the system to work.

Making the wiring harnesses for the G3X (or any other brand) is not an easy task. Even if you chose to wire the rest of your plane doing the avionics installation is so much more complex as we are seeing here. Honestly, I would say this is going to be the most difficult and demanding part of the entire build. Realize, if one component is missing, mounted wrong, has the wrong wiring or a reversed /missing / in the wrong hole pin it is not going to work. It will be a PITA to find the problem as well as lots of time talking to tech support. When you power up the system you could smoke something and ruin your new equipment. Warranty won't cover it.

Do you really think you want to install and wire your avionics? The easy part is choosing the combination of whiz bangs you are going to put in your panel. If you are thinking about doing your own harnesses you will need to read, read and read all of the manuals, but you need to understand them too. You need to grasp the big picture as well as the smallest details. It is a huge learning curve. You will need to purchase lots of expensive tools that you will probably never use again. You will need to figure out lengths, types and sizes of wiring, all of the connectors, etc. that you will need. And about another million other things. This is a job for a detailed person who loves puzzles.

BTW I did make the harnesses for my G3X system, but:
    I was able to borrow all of the required tools where I worked
    I have been working as an A&P for a long time, including a bit avionics stuff
    I had flown with the G1000 panel and understood the big picture of the system & components
    I was able to do most of the work at our avionics shop
    I had a couple of full time, highly experienced avionics techs to ask questions. They routinely do Garmin installations.

I hope other builders will read this thread before they decide to make their own harness. In most cases it would be best to purchase them from a reputable avionics shop. Even if you hire it out you will need to decide on what your complete package will be and the exact location for every component . . . before they can start.

FYI we had a wiring problem with a Cessna Caravan this week where I work. A couple of our highly experienced avionics guys spent (lost) 3 days troubleshooting an autopilot problem. It ended up being a pair of wires that got reversed during a upgrade that involved wiring. Before they figured out the problem they were considering replacing all of the servos . . . $$$, and it would not have solved the problem.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks Phil, all good points. I am working on wiring up the trim switch. I have the gsa-28 servos and the safety trim switch. Trying to understand the wiring diagrams. Looks like I wire the switch up just like in the manual but instead of the power coming from 12v bus, it’s provided by the safety trim switch? So pin 2 from the safety trim box to the switch like drawn? And then blue lines go to pin 11 and 12 on servo?
    2AC7A169-654A-46CE-8DD3-E5591EC91C6E.jpg
    A4FBE1A7-2FA8-4329-9932-30A6D8F66D70.jpg
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 08-03-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Thanks Phil, all good points. I am working on wiring up the trim switch. I have the gsa-28 servos and the safety trim switch. Trying to understand the wiring diagrams. Looks like I wire the switch up just like in the manual but instead of the power coming from 12v bus, it’s provided by the safety trim switch? So pin 2 from the safety trim box to the switch like drawn? And then blue lines go to pin 11 and 12 on servo?
    2AC7A169-654A-46CE-8DD3-E5591EC91C6E.jpg
    A4FBE1A7-2FA8-4329-9932-30A6D8F66D70.jpg

just to follow up, this is how to hookup trim to a saftey trim switch and the gsa-28 servo. At least this is how I did it and it works.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Does anyone know if the stereo outputs from the G3X only provide music to an audio panel/GTR20 if you pay for the xm music? All the alerts come from the mono output correct? I am debating on unhooking the stereo outputs from the g3x that go to my GTR20 and connecting them to my ipad so you can have audio from the ipad to both headsets? Anyone see a problem doing this?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

The gtr20 has dedicated line in on 18,19, 37 for music.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO