Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing the IO-240

Default Re: Installing the IO-240

Wow, someone must feel they hit a gold mine of information here. Holly cow, nice photos. Could you imagine if this site was able to catalog photos such as this and every question we ever ask gets a reply like that?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Hey Rick it will be nice to have another IO-240 out there in the future. I think I was the last one to complete an IO-240. Mine was certified in 2015 and I did my first flight in early 2016.

I would suggest you do everything you can to lighten up the front end of your plane and put as much stuff as far aft as you can. Some things I did was to remove the stock alternator (9-10 lbs) and install the B&C 30 amp alternator (~4.5 lbs), get as light of prop as possible (I have a Catto), consider a canon fiber spinner, put your oil cooler on the firewall. Don't use a vacuum pump, gyros and steam gauges; rather do a digital panel. As far as the tail put the battery, ELT, remote avionics, autopilot servos, tool kit, etc. as far back as you can. I don't have one, but the T3 tailwheel with a heavy tailwheel (ABW 3200, etc.) would be helpful for getting your EWCG aft.

BTW I like the remote oil filter housing you have on your engine. I wish I had one like that, but they are too pricey. I think that will make that part of your installation lighter than mine, which has a remote adapter, hoses, mount and remote filter.

I upgraded recently upgraded to an EarthX battery aft of my firewall, but I have not removed the original battery from the tail due to CG problems.

I'm sure you know this, but you need to put your wing sweep at 1 degree forward for this engine installation. My initial most forward CG calculation came out only .01" inside the limit after doing everything I could in the build to bring the EWCG aft. The good thing is I can take about 130 lbs. of cargo before going out the aft CG. I would honestly like to have the CG farther aft (at lighter weights) for better control and lower stall speeds, but you can't have everything.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I have an IO240 that has been sitting for 3 months. I would like to replace the BC110-1 battery with an EarthX also. Which size battery did you use? Did you get a charger? If so, which one?
    I may need to upgrade my alternator and it may have a voltage regulator. Any suggestions for testing these items? I do have an engine monitor. Maybe I can record the data on my VM1000.
    I am new to the forum and new to Kitfox but I have been flying for 40 years.
    Now I want to learn the inner workings of experimentals.
    Thanks for any help.
    And sorry if I can't find/answer questions....I'm new to forums too.

I used an EarthX ETX680C battery, but the standard ETX680 would work fine too (it is a little bigger). No I didn't get a charger.

Not sure what your question is about the alternator. To test an alternator you need to run the engine. The voltage should be around 13.5-14 volts if everything is working OK. If there is a problem with it then you need to figure out if it is the alternator or regulator, but I won't go into the details here.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

ThanksFor the help and advice both Phil and Bruce. Bruce I got your photos, it’s like you knew exactly where to take pictures! You are permanently on my Christmas card list. I love that IO240, My neighbor has one on his Eagle 150 with 800 hours and he loves it as well. Everything that can be done to move the CG aft is. Lightweight alternator, Skyview with all the electronics mounted under the baggage compartment floor, A PC 680 battery is also mounted rear of the baggage compartment Plus I have the solid aluminum tail wheel. All of my tail services are covered with heavy weight fabric and I was generous with the coatings I figured if I have to have weight in rear put it to good use. It wouldn’t kill me if I had to add 3 or 4 pounds of lead to the tail wheel I’ve certainly removed a bunch in the past. So far everything is going very well I am very impressed with the quality of all the Kit parts that I have. 1E771771-05B5-418C-8473-6A1178AB95F8.jpg

One suggestion I would make is to do a dual battery system, with one up at the firewall. If you don't do this, then
    I would install a quick connect under the instrument panel for using a jump starter. If you don't do this, you will
    find the IO-240B is a major pain to start in the wintertime since the loss over the long battery cables to the tail
    will make it feel like hand propping is an upgrade ...

I personally if not completely preheating overnight, put a car battery on the passenger side floor with a quick
    connect for the initial start and warm-up.

Anybody who doubts this, I would challenge to pull an IO-240B equipped fox out of the the hangar at anything
    below freezing without a complete preheat and get it to start.

The IO-240B can completely stall the starter on the compression stroke with a brand new PC-680 in the tail in
    cold weather so it's not a joke.

If you do use the Jump Start solution (credit to Bruce Lina), make sure to carry it in a fire bag ...

Jeff

I want to second this. I got a kickback once that broke the cluster gear that drives the accessories. I always preheat below 60. Now I have the EarthX up at my firewall, it is a completely different plane now.

I always carry a backup battery for starting my plane, but I have never needed to use it since installing the EarthX.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Thirds , Bruce N199CL

This Forum is great, without y’all’s help I never would have gotten so far so fast. I love this engine. 7496EC41-0EA5-4221-9E2F-7769BC1B57F5.jpg

I also am interested in the IO-240. Does John have a FWF kit for it that isnt listed in the catalog? If not what are people using mount and cowl wise?

Thanks all