Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honest opinions about Kitfox build experience

Default Honest opinions about Kitfox build experience

I have been wanting to build an airplane for a very long time. I decided a while back that the Kitfox will do everything I want it to do-and them some. It is also the most attractive of all the planes I have ever considered. That being said,the reason I haven’t jumped into building is that I alwasy get nervous and back out at the last minute. I am concerned about the process being more complicated than I will be able to (satisfactory) handle. I plan on buying the quick build wing, having them fit to the fiselage, and buy the pre-fabricated bracket kit. That being said, what is the build process actually going to be like? Will there be a lot of parts that I will have to fabricate, or is it more of an assembly of parts? How difficult is it going to be to Have a good-looking cover job?

i have no experience with any area regarding building an aircraft. I am also i an area that just doesn’t have that many projects going on with favric covered airplanes-or Kitfoxes in general. I guess I am just trying to get a feel for what you guys think about the build process is like.
    Thanks,
    russ

Default Re: Honest opinions about Kitfox build experience

Have you built any Ikea furniture? I have been more confused in those instructions than I believe I ever was with the Kitfox Manual. Wiring was my issue. Having experienced it once, I could do it alone if I wanted to now. I had professional help on mine but I wouldn't do that again. It did save me considerable time though. I didn't have to buy a ton of wire either. Many parts are complete but many require that you enlarge the holes, ream them out or some other task. The Fabric work is not that difficult. I happened to use Oratex so I saved on painting. Still have to paint other stuff though. This forum will get you through most everything within about 24 hours of your question being posted. I could go on and on but I will let others add their input. The build is not that difficult if your the least bit inclined to put in the effort.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

There are lots of Kitfoxes and Avids around, you may be closer to some then you are aware of. JImChuk

I suggest you buy an old rebuildable project plane.
    That way, you are just fixing what is already there, and you will get in the air much faster.
    Hope this helps
    Roger

I'm almost done on my build, which I've done in just a bit over two years. I agree with Eddie, but would add that you need patience and resilience, not because the build is difficult, it's not, but because it extends over a reasonable timeframe. My advice would be consider that first and foremost. Having said that, there is a huge benefit to building yourself: you'll know everything there is to know about that aircraft when you're finished, and that, to me at least, is a big advantage. The kit for the kitfox is second to none, and the instruction manual is excellent. And if you've been following this website, you'll see that it's a treasure trove of information should you get stuck on anything. And finally, factory support is first rate. FWIW.
    David
    SS7 Builder

You should take an EAA fabric covering course. I have not but I have heard they are good. May cost a little to travel if you have to but would be worth the $ given the potential investment in a plane/kit.

Most of it is assembly.

Some of the success in this may center more around motivation and how task oriented someone is. Do you finish things you start? If you start something do you work on it every day?

I do something with mine every day. I have built hot rods in the past, always finished them, and timely too - no 10 year projects.

When I built I had never done something as complicated. I found it was very doable if you have even minor mechanical skills. The approach I took to not be overwhelmed is to look at like I'm building an elevator, then I'm building a rudder. etc. Complete one little project before going on to the next and don't look ahead to whole project. And if you work on the project often and not let time go by you will save time. Other wise you have to go back and review things again. I have said often the Kitfox manual is probably the best in the kit plane business in my opinion. I have worked on several projects and the others don't compare. Fabric covering was my favorite. Painting not so much. There is nothing more satisfying than when that inspector hands you that airworthiness certificate.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Have you taken a look at the build manual on the Kitfox website? It calmed my nerves quite a bit before I bought mine.

Mike

Here's my "honest" opinion: You should be capable and unafraid to use basic tools. A home handyman is great, but not the type of guy who approaches each handyman project with great reluctance and poor confidence. A "can do" attitude is preferred. Nothing in the Kitfox build is very difficult, but you will need to learn some things you have never done before and be willing to enthusiastically dive into it and learn what you already don't know. Things like fabric covering, some riveting, wiring, basic electrical work, spray painting are things many of us had never done, but they are all easily learnable if you are not afraid to dive in. Some of us may choose an area we feel really uncomfortable in or not willing to learn and call in knowledgeable help, usually at increased cost. I personally chose to use a professional fabric spray painter but it cost me an extra $6000.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

There is some minor fabrication to do, and you will make frustrating mistakes that will require some rework. None of it is terribly difficult, and all of it is very rewarding. I'm a first-time builder. Working every day I had it mostly complete in one year. 15 months from delivery to 1st flight.

I agree with all of the above, especially taking an EAA covering class. It's worth travelling for. I took the mini-class at Oshkosh, bought a practice kit, built it a couple times and took the full SportAir workshop in Phoenix. I'm very happy with how my covering came out.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS