Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Zipper conversion Rotax 914

Default Zipper conversion Rotax 914

Hi! Is anyone running the Zipper big-bore conversion on a Rotax 914? It brings the bore out to that of a 912 ULS and is claimed to make 130 HP.

Default Re: Zipper conversion Rotax 914

Have you talked to Hal? Or maybe Jay is still acting as a salesman for him. I would think that would be your best source.

I would like to know as well. I talked to Ronnie at SMLA about it awhile back when they put a slipper clutch in my 914, and he said it would require welding the crank, which makes it pretty expensive (8k total I think). I see that some others (Edge) say the crank is ok to 135hp, but since Ronnie knows his stuff i don't know if i'm brave enough to try it.

What about a Zipper to 912is?

Edge says the crank is good to 120HP, so you should double check that info. Maybe it depends on the engine too. I would also upgrade the cam if you were to do this.

I'm in a similar boat. I want to change the cam, do the through bolt mod, and bolt on bigger jugs. However, my prop is limited to 120hp so I'm a little on the fence.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3