Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: SomeDay7

Default SomeDay7

Been around since 84 when Kitfox first started. Got my license in 86 and life just rolled on by with aviation on the side. Yes, my username has always been SomeDay7. Well, I guess someday is now. Finally got to visit Stick & Rudder for 4 days of flying the Kitfox after 30 yrs of no flying and It definately was an experience to remember. The actual reason for the visit was to see if I could settle down to this flying thing again and see if the fox was for me. First two days were very hard and i was saved more than once. Next two were fantastic and made me want to stay and fly some more. Paul"s flight school is amazing and worth the time to travel out for training there.
    The last day I visited the factory and Brandon took me on a tour. I visited about six years ago and even ordered a build manual. It seemed about the same but busy. The butterfly Kitfox was there and it is a very fine example of the finished planes Kitfox will do. I'm home now writing this and thinking yes this just happened. I made a deposit on a Kitfox kit. Just have to decide on a Super Sport or an STI? They did say I have a while to decide as they are out a year. I am torn between get there quick or slower but performance in the backcountry. Great Decisions to make. Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: SomeDay7

Tough decision to make. Here is my take. My brother and myself our building 2 STI’s. Originally I thought they where the way to go. Now I am rethinking our decision. Here is why. Based on the stall speeds many our seeing in the 7ss the STI only seems to be about 8 mph slower stall but you lose about 15-20 to on the top end. The 7ss already has great short field, not sure how much shorter STI gives you back to back same weight and HP. On the other hand I think the STI handles higher density altitude and flies better at higher altitude, which in Utah is something to consider. One of the other pluses of the STI is I like the looks better. Take this all with a grain of salt as I have only flown in the 7ss and never the STI. Hopefully is a few months I can report more! Either way should be a fun project!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I ordered 7 years ago. When the STi came out, I wanted it but after putting 100 hours on my super sport I am glad I don’t have the STI. I can hit Vne in level flight. 75% cruise is 105 -107 kits (125MPHish) I can land it in less than 300’ solo and can take off in 300’ solo. It’s a great all around bird and really does everything pretty well!
    6F5D7E5E-95AC-4B10-814A-A28A850F1DF1.jpg
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Josh and Dustin. Back country flying or bar landings sound like the STI could be needed at critical times. Great to have a large margin for safety. The guys I flew with at Stick & Rudder seemed happy with the 914 I got to fly there. It was easy to hit the rpm limit even with a spacer on the throttle you can blow through if needed. This is with a fixed pitch propeller. I'll watch over the next few months as it sounds like the Super Sport /915 speeds would get you there alot quicker and being able to throttle back in eco mode may save a lot of gas for more fun. Not sure how much more the weight gain extends the landing speeds though. My missions may include those critical times as I like to fish and get closer to the action. Dustin, I like the brawny look better too.

It was nice meeting you over at Stick & Rudder Jim. Congrats on your deposit. Either choice, you’re getting an incredible flying and looking S.T.O.L. aircraft.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

It was great to finally meet you too. Running these forums is what makes it work for all of us. Thank you. I finished a Factory Five build about a year and a half ago and the support made it easy for a first time builder.

Awe man that is a sweet car. I have my SS7 and I have been contemplating that very car as a project to occupy my time. A surgeon at work is trying to sell me his but the build is what interest me a great deal so I won't buy his. Congrats on the down payment and welcome aboard.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Awe man that is a sweet car...
    Thanks Eddie, I'm here watching and your bird is choice for what we would all like to do.

Basically what Josh said.

At 8500 DA, I can do a stop and go in 800' easy on the standard wing, and I have plenty of room to improve my skill.

Will do Vne at max continuous power on a slightly modified 914 and Airmaster prop. Cruise at 130 mph is easy. As you saw at Stick and Rudder, you can't squeeze the power out of the 914 with a fixed pitch prop. The STi is very en vogue, but the standard wing is nicely balanced. No regrets here, and I fly out of 7200' elevation.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Default Update

Talked with the Factory about my Kit. Looks like l will be right on schedule for June to pick up my kit. Got some more flying time at Stick & Rudder. Finally decided to build a STI instead of a Super Sport. Did get My Cowl decals made at AeroGraphics. First step of many. I think I'll call mine the Starfox.