Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank vent line

Default Fuel tank vent line

I'm looking to replace the fuel tank vent line to the header tank in my old kit but the many different varieties of Tygon tubing are confusing. From my research it's clear that the Tygon brand vinyl tubing is superior to the clear vinyl tubing one can buy at most hardware stores. Although I'll probably buy this tube from Kitfox, I'd like to better understand what is the preferred tubing material. What is the preferred version of tubing for fuel vents?
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Fuel tank vent line

I used Gates Barricade fuel line for all connections between the header tank and wing tanks. It has low vapor permeability, so my cockpit never smells like gas. (Or, if it does, I need to check for leaks!).

In fact, I think I have a bunch left. I can send you some for the cost of shipping.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

blue bing fuel hose. 1/4 inch size. all my fuel lines from tank to header is this stuff.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I like the Tygon vent lines. To me it is another indicator of fuel system continuity - being able to see a second verification of fuel level. Once when returning from Idaho, because of tail winds, I decided to eliminate the fuel stop in Winnemucca, NV. Then when descending from the Sierra Nevada mountain crossing to my home airport, I was able to visually watch the fuel level drop to the low fuel sender trigger point. The Model IV and earlier had one fuel outlet on the wing tanks at the rear. In a descent, it is possible to unport the outlet resulting in no fuel flow from the tanks with as much as 6 gallons remaining. At that time, I reduced the rate of descent and all good again. In this instance it was a deliberate test. And all worked as designed. As far as type, I tend to favor the local outlets - motorcycle or lawnmower - as CA has nothing available, for any engine, but ethanol containing mogas and these places are pretty much on top of it.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I didn't think that the plastic line was what I wanted to use at first, but I agree with Lowell. It's nice to be able to see the fuel in that line. The material that I got in my kit is a light yellow in color.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hello everyone.

I use for my vent line direct from the header tank to the roof of the KF 1/4" blue polyurethane tubin. (see picture)

I had new aluminum tanks made for the KF sometime ago, since the old ones leaked due to fissures. Eliminated the root cause of the fissures and the factory vent on the RHS fuel tank.

The little blue line has been doing it job for a long time and I can see the fuel level sloshing in the hose.

Happy flying!

Flying Felix
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Felix View Post
    Hello everyone.

I use for my vent line direct from the header tank to the roof of the KF 1/4" blue polyurethane tubin. (see picture)

I had new aluminum tanks made for the KF sometime ago, since the old ones leaked due to fissures. Eliminated the root cause of the fissures and the factory vent on the RHS fuel tank.

The little blue line has been doing it job for a long time and I can see the fuel level sloshing in the hose.

Happy flying!

Flying Felix
    I'm guessing that's the bing blue fuel line that I have. it will turn green with auto fuel after a while.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

one more thing you buy it at aircraft spruce.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Been using the yellow tygon f-4040-a 1/4" id, 3/8" od. On amazon.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind