Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KF7SS w/Rotax 912ULS - Is an Electric Fuel Pump a good idea?

Default KF7SS w/Rotax 912ULS - Is an Electric Fuel Pump a good idea?

Currently there is no electric fuel pump on 78KA, just the engine driven one. Should I install one (not too difficult)? Opinions? The reason I am asking is because I let the fuel level in my wing tanks get below 1/4 for the first time and yesterday she just wouldn't start (the two may not be related.) This morning, after recharging the battery I killed trying to start her yesterday, she started within the first turn of the prop. The only thing I had done in between was to lift the tail to reposition the aircraft. Go figure....

Default Re: KF7SS w/Rotax 912ULS - Is an Electric Fuel Pump a good idea?

I have been flying my SS7 for 740 hours/5.5 years with only the engine (912uls) driven mechanical fuel pump with no problems, along with many others. The standard Kitfox FWF kit for the 912uls does not include an electric fuel pump. I verified with a gravity fuel flow test that the engine fuel supply is still adequate with the mechanical pump not turning and the nose at a high deck angle, so I am comfortable with it. That being said, many others choose to add a backup electric pump, and I know of no one who would fault you for making that choice.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: KF7SS w/Rotax 912ULS - Is an Electric Fuel Pump a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I have been flying my SS7 for 740 hours/5.5 years with only the engine (912uls) driven mechanical fuel pump with no problems, along with many others. The standard Kitfox FWF kit for the 912uls does not include an electric fuel pump. I verified with a gravity fuel flow test that the engine fuel supply is still adequate with the mechanical pump not turning and the nose at a high deck angle, so I am comfortable with it. That being said, many others choose to add a backup electric pump, and I know of no one who would fault you for making that choice.
    Thanks Jim!