Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New 7ss build and introduction

Default New 7ss build and introduction

Hello,

I have been lurking around for years on this site and have finally pulled the trigger on a kit. Originally I was looking to buy completed in order to get flying, but finding a Tailwheel 7 Super Sport like I would want is very difficult in the last few years. Should have bought the Red 7 with the 914 and Airmaster prop for 65K that was for sale on Barnstormers many years ago, but at that time 65K seemed to be too much (and I was too chicken to buy an airplane)..HaHa. Well now I am building, and excited about it! I received my kit several months ago and am slowly banging it out, becoming friends with Hysol etc. etc. I went with almost all the options, quick build wing, bracket kit, LLE, Grove gear, false ribs, airfoil tail, and standard wing. Plan on Rotax power...what flavor remains to be seen though.

Anyway, I have learned a lot from all the knowledge shared here, and I will try to pass on any ideas, info, and tips I can muster. I live in the West Valley of Phoenix AZ, Litchfield Park. Glendale (KGEU) Airport will be my planned aircraft location in a few years when I get done. I was looking on the EAA website for Tech Advisors in my area, and came up short. Am I missing something? Does anyone know of any of those resources I can tap into close to my location in Phoenix? I am fairly mechanically inclined, have done a lot of motorcycle work, etc. and can spin a decent wrench...But building an aircraft can be a bit of a different beast.

Thank you for all the work and knowledge all of you have done ahead of me. I will try to eventually work on putting up a build thread as well.

Mike

Default Re: New 7ss build and introduction

Welcome aboard Mike. Another AZ bird I see. It seems to me that the EAA tech counselor list is lacking. I didn't find mine there either. I came upon my tech counselor at an EAA sponsored Electrical class and he only passed out a card that identified him as a DAR. The only reason he was present at the class was to report on the classes in Kitplane Magazine for which he is an author. I mentioned my need for a tech counselor as I was not even started on the build. That is when he said he was a counselor as well. You might look into some of the EAA Chapters. They may know of some.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Welcome Mike.
    Murle Williams in W. Phoenix is an EAA tech advisor. Murle has helped build 48 Kitfox aircraft over the years.
    I built my model 4 in his shop back in 2001-2003.

His phone # is 602-978-0553 (Williams Aviation).
    The Phoenix area has a really good concentration of Kitfoxs both flying and under construction.

Glad you found these forums. Lots of talented and generous builders on here.
    Good luck with your build Mike. You’ll never regret your decision to build and fly a Kitfox.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks Guys for the info. I have heard Murle’s name before...I will look him up. Yes, I kind of plowed into the build over the last month, and then I got to thinking...I really don’t know anything about Build Logs, what the FAA is looking for, how to prove 51% if I get a bit of outside work done...etc. etc. So I started digging around and figured it was time to start asking questions. I do plan on finding an EAA chapter and going to some workshops in February when they come to PHX. Oh yeah, and get some pictures up on this forum!

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mbike74 View Post
    ... Yes, I kind of plowed into the build over the last month, and then I got to thinking...I really don’t know anything about Build Logs, what the FAA is looking for, how to prove 51% if I get a bit of outside work done...etc. etc. ...
    mike
    Take lots of pictures. While it's nice to have a build log, it's not necessary in my opinion. With the Kitfox, the build manual can serve as documentation in that regard, with your name & date filled in after completing the various tasks. Documenting the build with pictures, showing you occasionally, has been more than sufficient in my experience. When you apply for a Repairman's Certificate, the pictures are all you need, again in my experience. I've never been asked to produce a builder's log, or the construction manual during an airworthiness inspection, nor when applying for a Repairman's Certificate. Other's experiences may vary.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime