Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hat switch vs toggle switch for trim

Default Hat switch vs toggle switch for trim

Has anybody forgone the standard trim toggle switch on the center console in favor of a pair of hat switches on the sticks? Of even found a stick with a single toggle in place of the hat switch?

Default Re: Hat switch vs toggle switch for trim

My trim is on the stick. Didn’t like a switch being on the console. I went with a Ray Allen G207. You will need two 12vdc double pole double throw relays capable of handling at least 7 amps (10 is standard). Part number 2T-2911-32 (M5757/32-032) are what I used. You can get them surplus for about $20 ea.
    Homebuiltrovs.com/howtorelays.html will show you how to hook them up.
    edit: a typical hat switch has 5 sets of contacts, up, down, left, right, and push (straight down).
    Last edited by jmodguy; 06-20-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I've not found the one I want yet, but I'll be looking on digikey. I plan on having trim up/down, ptt, freq switch for sure on my stick. If you use a VPX and garmin (i think it's the gea24) you can control all of these without the need for relays.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Quote Originally Posted by Mesteve View Post
    Has anybody forgone the standard trim toggle switch on the center console in favor of a pair of hat switches on the sticks? Of even found a stick with a single toggle in place of the hat switch?
    I would be careful using a toggle switch in place of the standard one supplied by KF. It is very easy to get it caught on your clothing (especially in winter) and have the switch toggle over. Happened to me shortly after receiving my pre-built Vixen and I burned out the jackscrew motor.
    Cheers
    Don

Correct, I should have called it a rocker switch, not toggle...

I have Ray Allen G405 stick grips. They don't use a hat switch, but rather have four independent buttons, which gives you some flexibility. The fore/aft buttons on my sticks are elevator trim. I also have an autopilot CWS/disconnect button. The trigger is PTT. The fourth top button has no function right now. I pretend it's missiles.

I flew Stick and Rudder's Kitfoxes with the rocker switch on the console. It really wasn't that cumbersome, but I do like it much better with the trim on the stick (HOTAS). The AFS Advanced Control Module (and maybe the VPX) will manage the trim without additional relays, including runaway protection and left-seat priority.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Brian
    Did you put the Ray Allen G405 on both sides? Does the trim work on just the left or is it wired for both sides?
    I picked up my panel from AFS on Monday so I am trying to decide what grips to use and if I want to put the trim on the grip or console.
    Thanks
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

G405 on both sides, with identical functions. The trim works from both sides. If both sticks actuate trim simultaneously, the left gets priority. I'm not sure of the priority is software-configurable or not.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thank you for the reply. I checked my schematics today and see how it all comes together. The ACM must control the priority, lots of magic happening in there
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog