Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who is flying a IV with T3 tailwheel?

Default who is flying a IV with T3 tailwheel?

I have a IV with an UL engine. I"m on the grove gear with a three leaf spring tail wheel and a matco single arm.

Thinking of getting the T3 as I recently bent the forward welded tab on the spring gear and though it smacks of a side load issue, I think the T3 could help my rough field beatings.
    Anyone flying a IV with a T-3 ? how is it? Longer landing for the change in tail angle? heavy tail at slow speed? Difficulty with tail low wheel landings etc?
    Thanks

Default Re: who is flying a IV with T3 tailwheel?

I have one but not installed yet. I have seen other 4's using them. You will need another tailwheel that accepts a 1.5" tail spring on the T3

I have one, you can fly to felts and see it first hand
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Been using the T-3 tail wheel spring for 2 years.
    Static, it raised my tail so I drilled another hole so with the spring off the shock and the shock fully compressed, the assembly clears the rudder by 1 inch.
    That change has also been addressed.
    Now the tails the same height as with the leaf springs.
    Taxiing in the rough is so much smoother.
    It is slightly heavier.
    All my landings are wheel landings, but mine will shimmy if I 3 point on asphalt.
    I have heard that some have broken the assembly, and that improvements have been made.

Just get bigger tires and the deck angle remains the same!

Already on 29's
    Wish I had taller main gear

Hey Thanks all for the replies and to Sly fox for the phone call.
    In the end the discussion I had with the factory was an added 6 lbs at the tail wheel. That is quite a moment at that arm. Several people suggested bigger tires to go with it but I really do fly with a 80 horsepower engine so adding big tires and heavy gear isn't an efficient use of the horsy power that I possess. The bent bolts and the tab indicate a side load impact and the T3 doesn't really address that. Gopher holes or a heavy cross wind component with the tail wheel sideways are regular occurrences. The factory is adding a triangular gusset on the new birds and I bet that is a serious correction of any weakness in the tail area. I may do that, but it will require deskinning the tail for the weld. For now I"ll just add some forward stick in those tight turnarounds on the rough and I'll beef up the plates that capture the spring gear, I"Il sleeve the bolts to avoid the "bend and pull" action from a side load impact and I"ll land better, or I"ll try.
    That plane flies almost daily and I love the performance in the regime I use it. Kitfox has a great ride. I"ll see you in the sky in about a week and thanks again.

Well let me just say, I learned something from that post. Thank you for filling us in.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

After 16 years of flying my Series 5 , I found one of the two tailspring capture bolts missing about on a recent preflight. During initial construction of this vintage Series 5 the manual called for AN3 bolts for this application, but guys where breaking those with regularity , so I drilled out the holes to accept AN4 bolts. This is the first time i've had any issues with the AN4's. Replaced both bolts with new and threw 2 more in my Kitfox travel tool kit. And even though its a long bend over for an old man, I will make sure on every pre and post flight all is well back there. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    In the end the discussion I had with the factory was an added 6 lbs at the tail wheel. That is quite a moment at that arm. ...
    I think they must have been talking about replacing the tailwheel itself with a heavier model also. When I installed my T3, the difference in weight between it and the standard steel leaf spring (3-leaf) was approximately 1 lb.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime