Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox IV on floats w 912UL

Default Kitfox IV on floats w 912UL

Hi all,
    long time reader but first post. Ive been thinking about buying a kitfox 4 for some time. I want to put it on floats since I live on a lake in S Michigan. Yesterday I flew one for sale in Ohio. It’s on Barnstormers right now. Seemed like a great plane. My question for you is about the floats. This plane comes with Aerocet 1100 amphibious. I read some posts from the 2015 timeframe that someone had those floats on their KF but felt they were slightly too small. That concerns me but it also seemed they weren’t going to take them off either. These floats have never been mounted on this plane. This is third owner and they came with the plane when he bought it. He never got around to it. They are in pristine condition. My questions are: are they too small, should I avoid them, should I be concerned that they are no longer supported by Aerocet (I spoke with them yesterday), is there a better float (amphib) now to look for?, how much would they be worth now? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Kitfox IV on floats w 912UL

As I understand, our resident float expert, Paul S from Wisconsin, flys his model 4 on 1100 amphibs and while slightly under floated , his Kitfox performs admirably with an 80 hp Rotax both in take off and cruise. Given a little time he may see this post and respond as he so kindly does for most Kitfox float questions. Please try searching the archives in the meantime for float topics and Paul’s responses in past posts will be very enlightening. Best of luck and welcome to the forums. Hope you are float flying real soon.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear