Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser CPS Parts EarthX Batteries
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Series 7 flying question.

Default Re: Series 7 flying question.

I think John McBean gave an excellent description of how they adjust for a "heavy wing" at the factory (I believe it's posted somewhere on this forum), and that's how I attacked my slightly heavy left wing...

First check that you don't have a yaw issue that's causing the turn.

For a left turning tendency - adjust the right wing rear lift strut rod end out 1 turn (decrease the wash-out). Pre-flight and test fly after each adjustment.

If not enough, adjust the left wing rear lift strut rod end in 1 turn.

If still not enough you can start adjusting the front lift strut rod ends ... right one in first, and lastly left one out.

John wrote that you might only need 1/2 turn, or maybe as much as 1 1/2 turn... it depends on the severity of the roll rate.

It seems to me that doing the adjustments in this order should result in the least amount of necessary twisting of the structure on any one wing to get the desired result.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE

Good post John, however we need to clarify some nomenclature. If you adjust the rear rod end OUT, that Increases the washout because it is reducing AOA. Unless I am mistaken, washout is defined as the wingtip having LESS AOA than the root of the wing so it will stall later than the root. If I am wrong about this please advise.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Good post John, however we need to clarify some nomenclature. If you adjust the rear rod end OUT, that Increases the washout because it is reducing AOA. Unless I am mistaken, washout is defined as the wingtip having LESS AOA than the root of the wing so it will stall later than the root. If I am wrong about this please advise.
    Thanks, Jim. Yes, I think you're right. I mostly copied that statement from John's post, but what he had actually written was "decreased twist (wash-out)"- sorry I don't know where it is in the archives of this forum, but I had copied and printed it a long time ago for reference. I interpreted his statement as saying that decreased twist was the same as decreased washout, which it isn't in this instance of course. The twist is actually increased by extending the rear strut rod end further out. I guess it would have been more correct to say "decrease the angle of attack of the tip", rather than "decrease the wash-out". Is that confusing enough for everyone?
    Last edited by jrevens; 06-13-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE

Thanks for the clarification on how to adjust the struts, saved me a lot of time searching for the info. Iíll check the measurements and adjust it this weekend. Thanks for the help.
    Les
    Model 7 SS flying
    160hp 0-320 lycoming