Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 7 flying question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Series 7 flying question.

Since i'm new to flying a kitfox aircraft, has anyone experienced when your flying the left wing feels heavy? I don't know if this is normal when you fly alone due to pilot weight or if something is out of alignment. Any insight would be helpful and appreciated.
    Les
    Model 7 SS flying
    160hp 0-320 lycoming

Default Re: Series 7 flying question.

Hi Les,

Real common to have a heavy wing on a newly assembled Kitfox. It's a matter of adjusting the washout.

You should find all the the info you might want by searching the forum with the term "heavy wing".

FWIW - the old aviation book titled "Stick & Rudder" explains this phenomena somewhere in the middle of the book.

Easy fix....
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Good post John, however we need to clarify some nomenclature. If you adjust the rear rod end OUT, that Increases the washout because it is reducing AOA. Unless I am mistaken, washout is defined as the wingtip having LESS AOA than the root of the wing so it will stall later than the root. If I am wrong about this please advise.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks, Jim. Yes, I think you're right. I mostly copied that statement from John's post, but what he had actually written was "decreased twist (wash-out)"- sorry I don't know where it is in the archives of this forum, but I had copied and printed it a long time ago for reference. I interpreted his statement as saying that decreased twist was the same as decreased washout, which it isn't in this instance of course. The twist is actually increased by extending the rear strut rod end further out. I guess it would have been more correct to say "decrease the angle of attack of the tip", rather than "decrease the wash-out". Is that confusing enough for everyone?
    Last edited by jrevens; 06-13-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I spoke with John McBean about my heavy left wing when I started flying. It is very subtle. He thought maybe if it was as subtle as I described then I might leave the washout alone. I didn't touch anything and notice that its gone when I have a passenger.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I noticed a little of the same thing Eddie, but since I fly 95% of the time without a passenger, I went ahead and tweaked the washout to get level wings when solo.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the clarification on how to adjust the struts, saved me a lot of time searching for the info. I’ll check the measurements and adjust it this weekend. Thanks for the help.
    Les
    Model 7 SS flying
    160hp 0-320 lycoming

Jim expressed exactly my thoughts on the matter.
    It’s been 15 years since I did the adjustment on my model four’s wings for a slightly right wing heavy condition. I know it’s been covered here before but if someone has recently done this very simple adjustment, feel free to post it again. This is a timely thread for many about to fly their first flights.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Does anyone do stall tests after these adjustments are made ?. Just interested to know how much/if they make much of a difference to handling ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

David,

On first flight, noticed a slight wing heavy but entirely controllable - did one power off stall at significant altitude over the 'port in order to accurately determine what approach IAS to use for the first landing. That stall was the typical Kitfox gentle power off stall everyone indicates. Refrained from any more stall testing until the wing heavy issue was perfectly resolved so all stall series done in phase I, except for the initial one on first flight, was done after resolution of the wing heavy deal.

My thinking was to get the wing rigging right before continuing testing. The theory I was working off is get any observed anomaly corrected before continuing.

Now, had the wing heavy observation been extreme, I probably would have avoided doing a single stall test on the first flight.

As to your question - I am not sure that it is possible to compare one power off stall before getting the wing adjusted with the entire stall series after adjustment other than to say that all power off stalls with the kitfox have been gentle. Cannot address power on stalls since I had no intention of doing a power on stall on the first flight in any case.

Hope that helps some.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN