Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarification on wording for mounting AHRS

Default Re: Clarification on wording for mounting AHRS

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Do you know where you are going to mount yours?
    Well, now that all is clarified, I think I am going to put it in my originally expected location, on the pilot side equipment mount tray behind the dash. I do want to move it to behind the baggage area, but that would cause me major headache as the harness is already made. If I find there is issues then I will move it. The only other things on that tray for me will be backup battery and the servo boost.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

The reason many of us with the Dynon system put the ADHRS in the baggage area is because the Dynon ADHRS includes the magnetometer and they recommended mounting it as far away from steel structures as possible. That spot just behind the baggage compartment is about the best you can do (other than out in the wing). I personally did not care for wing mounting due to ease of access and because of the great distance from the longitudinal axis. I know some brands have separated the ADHRS and the magnetometer into two separate boxes so the magnetometer (which is sensitive to steel) can be mounted far away from steel tubing, while the ADHRS can be mounted closer to the CG. Anyway, you're good if you just follow the manufacturer's instructions. I don't know anything about Garmin, but the Dynon system has some fine tuning you can do with the calibration software after you start flying, to compensate for small errors you may have made during the installation leveling process and also for small magnetic directional errors due to magnetometer/steel interference. Garmin, Dynon, etc. all these reputable companies know what they are doing and have made it pretty hard for us to really screw up.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

To add to Jim's post for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread: Dynon does now have an optional remote magnetometer that they recommend for steel tube airplanes. I have it in the wing, accessible by removing the wingtip. That said, the location where Jim put his ADAHRS appears to work quite well without the remote magnetometer, so for anyone installing Dynon, do whatever makes you feel good.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS