Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: build vs buy 2nd hand?

Question build vs buy 2nd hand?

Any feedback on whether one of the reasons to "build" could be a financial benefit (if you can't afford a factory built) in comparison to buying a 2nd-hand Kitfox? For example wondering if someone might reply and say something like "unless you really really enjoy/want to build, then look towards picking up a 2nd hand kitfox with low hours and it won't be too different in terms of $$"?

I note for: :
    * Kit Build ~$50k (Kitfox S7 Super Sport with Rotax 912 ULS 100 hp)
    * Factory Built ~95K (actually this is Kitfox SLSA Standard - not sure if this lines up with S7 Super Sport?)

So not sure how much Factory Built Kitfox SLSA Standard with low hours would go for and whether it would be down around the $50k to $60k price point?

Default Re: build vs buy 2nd hand?

I can't speak to the market in Australia, but in the US, if your real goal is to fly, you will do it more economically by buying a plane.

If you enjoy the building process and really want to build your own plane from the ground up, build.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Hi was going through the same dilemma, and with Australian dollars buying a kit was getting out of reach, and time to build.

Lucky a second hand kitfox iv classic came up for sale and got it cheep needs a little work and have a Rotax 100 hp engine in shed ready to swap out the subaru

My thought is fix up and my be sell in a few years and buy a kit still keen to scratch build.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I can't speak to the market in Australia, but in the US, if your real goal is to fly, you will do it more economically by buying a plane.

If you enjoy the building process and really want to build your own plane from the ground up, build.
    Agree completely, build if you really want to build, buy if you just want to fly. In my experience 2nd hand kit planes frequently sell for less than they cost to build, that said building is a lot of fun if you enjoy that sort of thing.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Also, search these forums and you will find a lot of information on the true cost to build when comparing the build costs to airplanes available for sale. It's nearly impossible to build a kit for $50k unless you find amazing deals on a used engine, prop, instruments, and radios.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS