Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuselage tube colour ?

Default Fuselage tube colour ?

Interested to hear views on Fuselage tube colour. Particularly how it effects reflections in the cockpit area.
    Considering crack detection, white or grey would be better than black but the later would seem to have better non reflective qualities.
    I would be grateful to hear the views of those who have gone before and IF the lighter colours impact on increased cockpit reflections?
    Thanks as always,
    Ratc

Default Re: Fuselage tube colour ?

I certainly don't notice any reflection in the glass from my Flat Black. I can't say they are too transparent when looking past them though.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

My tubes are light gray in color and I have never had issues with them reflecting . Matter of fact I made my instrument panel the same color. Bruce N199CL

White tubing here - no prob - don't even notice the tubes are here
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I flew with DF4 in his model 4 and the reflection of white tubes on the windshield was very apparent. I painted all cockpit tubing “rat rod” black to prevent this glare.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Some guys paint fuse a light color so can look into back of plane and c i cracks r apperent when doing preflight or anual inspections. But they also paint the front tubes (the ones in pilots veiw from seat) a dark color so not to reflect in the windshield. Also like when the old bush planes had the top of the cowl painted flat black to not reflect light. Even cop cars use to do that. Hahhaaaaa

But both my kitfox's not done that way, one is bahama blue and cowl is painted flat black. Other kitfox is that green primer/sealer coatstuff? And the whole plane is black.

Thank you for your inputs, it’s encouraging to see a cross section of comments.

Just seen a pair of fuselage's on the Kitfox FB page being delivered in 40% grey.

Nice idea from the factory.