Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Adjustable Rudder Stops

Default Adjustable Rudder Stops

i am trying to find the original discussion about this rudder stop mod but am coming up empty. It says in this link that the finished product is adjustable after covering but from this photo I don't understand how that could be, so before leaping in to it, I'd like to see the final product.

Thanks.

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...ll=1#post30799

Default Re: Adjustable Rudder Stops

New to this idea, i have to wonder why fine tuning the rudder stops is a real need. Keeping the rudder from impacting the inner edge of the elevator is the only reason that comes to mind for the stops. Having it clear by an exact distance? I do hit the stops from time to time, but only when in a tight turn that unlocks the tailwheel.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

You are right Lowell, but what happens to many of us, including me, is that we set our fixed rudder stops so the rudder just clears the elevator at full deflection before we cover and paint. Then due to the added thickness of several layers of fabric and many coats of paint, we find the rudder mounting rod ends must be extended a couple of turns to keep the rudder from binding. This causes the rudder stops to now be too short and the rudder hits the elevator, hence the need to some way extend the stops. It always ends up needing added stop material, rather than shortening something.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the explanation. I guess my fix would be to bend some thin metal, - maybe some .040 steel into a tight U and wrap that around the fuselage stop - thinking about the IV design - and Hysoling it at the desired location, then drilling and putting in a 4-40 screw or a rivet as added security.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mesteve View Post
    i am trying to find the original discussion about this rudder stop mod...
    It looks like you need to put an inspection ring on each side of the rudder to be able to adjust the stops after covering.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

That explanation was exactly as I encountered. I drilled and tapped threads into those two locations and put a bolt with a jam nut on it. I can still get into there with a wrench, loosen the jam nut and adjust the bolt then tighten the nut back down.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I drilled and tapped threads into those two locations and put a bolt with a jam nut on it.
    That was the idea I was missing; thanks.