Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handling

Default Re: Handling

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    Smiffy
    Your gear still needs aligned. Find a long bar that will fit the axle and someone/something to hold the tail and tweak the gear until alignment is proper.
    I've used an 8' long pipe, put the nut onto the axel when you bend it so you don't bugger up the threads. To get more toe out is easier then toe in, cause you can tie onto the tail wheel area and use a cable come along to pull on the end of the pipe. It does take quite a bit of power to bend the gear. Most will say that 0 to 1/8" toe out is best. JImChuk

Back when I was doing wheel alignments to my race car, I hated measuring toe in inches. The problem is that I don't know the reference. Is it 1/8" difference from the outer edge of the tire? What if you have bush tires? I prefer degrees, but I happen to be really good at trig. I will be checking the alignment of my model II soon but, fortunately, it looks like zero degrees toe is a good number to shoot for. I am so grateful for this forum because I would be guessing about so many things otherwise.

Doug

I forgot to mention, when I check the toe in/toe out on the wheels, I jack the plane off the ground a bit, put a mark in the center (width wise) of the tire and with the mark all the way forward, take a measurement. Then spin the wheel 180 degrees so it's all the way back, and measure there. If you measure to the side of the tire, sometimes the tires aren't perfect and your results would not be accurate. Also, I pull a string from the tailwheel to the front of the plane in the center (sideways) of the plane and measure off that string. That will tell you if one wheel is more off kilter then the other. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool Re: Handling

I agree with slyfox, I tried high speed taxing, Was new to flying, never cracked up but came to close to often, Now I have 500+ hrs and high speed taxi quite often , Wheel landings do a great job of teaching taxing .

Jim Chuk's method of measuring toe in/toe out is spot on. Before alleged "hi-tech" methods (subject to various degrees of correct calibration) were use in aligning car front ends, spinning the tires against a chalk stick and then a fine point to make an accurate line to measure from with a trammel bar from was the standard TI/TO method; and highly accurate. Also like Jim's method which permits accurate measurements of each side from the centerline of the aircraft.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN